Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cj cj is offline

Default load a CSV file and have it take all fields as text

Here is a sample line from the csv file I get

"2007-02-21 11:07:44.0","MCKINNEY","SC","1172084864684"

When I double click the file it is opened in Excel but it comes in
looking like

07:44.0 MCKINNEY SC 1.17208E+12

I want this data shown in excel exactly as it was read in. As you will
note all the "fields" in the csv line are in "s to denote they are text.
How can this be accomplished?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cj cj is offline

I would and it seems to me Excel used to bring up that wizard when I'd
done this kind of thing years ago but none of our pcs with excel open
that wizard. Double click a CSV file here and Excel springs up with
it's interpretation of what is in the file already loaded. It's Excel
2000 if that makes a difference.

"cj" wrote:

Here is a sample line from the csv file I get

"2007-02-21 11:07:44.0","MCKINNEY","SC","1172084864684"

When I double click the file it is opened in Excel but it comes in
looking like

07:44.0 MCKINNEY SC 1.17208E+12

I want this data shown in excel exactly as it was read in. As you will
note all the "fields" in the csv line are in "s to denote they are text.
How can this be accomplished?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cj cj is offline

Yes, and while I might do that the folks around here that need to open
these files aren't going to be able to. They do good to be able to
double click a file name and read the data after it opens. They
complain their "reports" are "all messed up".

I've been doing some reading and apparently pre 2000 if you double
clicked on a csv file excel pulled up the wizard when opening it but in
excel 2000 and later it just assumes it knows what you want an opens it.
There doesn't seem to be a way to change that.

From my programming backgound Excel assumes wrong. Putting fields in
"s in a csv file means they are text. Numeric fields in a CSV file do
not have "s around them. All these fields are in "s so excel should be
opening them as text. If that field was a number it would not have
quotes around it.