KG

Default How do you point to a named range in linked workbooks?

Workbook #1 has a range named "Gross Sales" in Sheet1 Cells A2:K2. How can I
point to this range so that I can link it to Sheet1 Cells2:K2 in Workbook #2?
Chad

Is this what you're looking for...?

In workbook 2 enter "=[Book1]Sheet1!$A$2" in cell A2. Do the same for cells
B2 through K2 with the correct respective links.

Hope this helps.
-Chad

"KG" wrote:

Workbook #1 has a range named "Gross Sales" in Sheet1 Cells A2:K2. How can I
point to this range so that I can link it to Sheet1 Cells2:K2 in Workbook #2?

CyberTaz

Or, if you don't like to type, try it this way:

Open both files with Workbook #2 active, click cell A2 & type =

Go to WindowWorkbook #1 (or click the taskbar button), click cell A2 &
press Ctrl+Enter (this finishes your formula & leaves A2 as your active cell).

Use the Fill Handle to copy right or down (one direction at a time), then
fill in the other direction.

Suggestion- read up on "Links to other Workbooks" because there are a number
of considerations to know about.

Hope this is useful |:)

"KG" wrote:

Workbook #1 has a range named "Gross Sales" in Sheet1 Cells A2:K2. How can I
point to this range so that I can link it to Sheet1 Cells2:K2 in Workbook #2?

Earl Kiosterud

KG,

'Book 1.xls'!GrossSales

For example:
=SUM('Book 1.xls'!GrossSales)
=VLOOKUP(A2, 'Book 1.xls'!GrossSales, 2)

Note that a Range name cannot have a space, hence GrossSales, not Gross
Sales.
--
Earl Kiosterud

#2?

KG

Thanks for the catch; actually my named range is Gross_Sales. I'm intrigued
by the VLOOKUP method. I know that in regular VLOOKUP tables the third
parameter (2 in your example) designates the column where Excel starts its
lookup. What does it do in the case of a named range?

#2?

Earl Kiosterud

KG,

It's the same as any VLOOKUP. The third parameter, 2, is the column of the
table from which to return something.

--
Earl Kiosterud

#2?