nsturre

Default after saving to cd many times. now says read only?

i have saved many times to my cd. i overwrite it almost daily (CD-RW) all of
a sudden it now say's the file is read only. although i can still save to my
hard drive?
Gordon

nsturre wrote:
i have saved many times to my cd. i overwrite it almost daily (CD-RW) all of
a sudden it now say's the file is read only. although i can still save to my
hard drive?

Unless you have formatted your CDRW for packet writing, then yes, it
will be Read only. CDROM = CD Read Only Memory!

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Gord Dibben

Just one of the dangers of saving directly to or opening directly from a disk.

Best practice is to save to HDD first then copy to CD. Same way coming back.

Can you copy it to HDD and is it still read-only?

Can you remove the read-only property through Windows Explorer?

You may have to copy the sheets to a new workbook and save that. To HDD, of
course.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP