Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default An incrementing serial number in each new document

While a 'template' approach could work, it's awkward and prone to error
(someone forgets to save it with updated number). There is no auto-increment
function in Excel, so all the solutions I've ever seen involve VB coding. JE
McGimpsey has some good suggestions on how to deal with it, with the code
provided for simple cut'n'paste use he
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html

"Lee Techwriter" wrote:

I'm trying to create a trouble-ticket form with numerous blank fields, to be
filled in by users. I can handle that. What I can't figure out is how to
put in a field with a serial number in it that increments by one each time a
new form is created. I'm thinking that a template might do. The template
would remember the last serial number, and increment it by one when a
document is made from that template.

Any suggestions? If this takes VBA coding, I'm lost. I can record macros,
and touch them up in editing, but real coding is beyond me, at this point.

-- Lee Techwriter