Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "Personal.xls" Page

While taking an online class in Excel I learned to create macros. Now, every
time I launch Excel, it opens Personal.xls instead of a blank worksheet - or
it loads it first before the other document I am trying to open.

Why? and how do I go back/stop it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

While learning to create macros, you probably recorded a macro. When you
recorded macro, a Personal.xls file was created on your computer. This file
is usually hidden. If you plan on continuing your education with macros, I
suggest you hide the Personal.xls workbook. With Personal.xls in the Active
Window, choose Window on your toolbar, then choose Hide. Close Excel and say
Yes to save changes to your Personal.xls. The next time you open Excel, the
workbook will be hidden and you can continue to record and learn VBA.

Regards,

Alan

"k'lyn" wrote in message
While taking an online class in Excel I learned to create macros. Now,
every
time I launch Excel, it opens Personal.xls instead of a blank worksheet -
or
it loads it first before the other document I am trying to open.

Why? and how do I go back/stop it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, you'll want to decide if you want to keep those macros you created in
personal.xls.

If you do, then open excel (let personal.xls open).

Then with personal.xls the active workbook, do Window|Hide.
Then close excel.
You'll be prompted to see if you want to save personal.xls (since you changed it
by hiding it).
Answer yes.

Now when you open excel, personal.xls will open (and you'll hae access to its
macros), but it will be hidden and less irritating.

If you don't want the macros that you created, then you can delete personal.xls
from your computer.

Close excel
Use windows start button|Search to find personal.xls
remember to look in hidden folders, too.

Then delete it (or maybe move it to a nice safe location--if you might change
your mind later).

Then open excel to test it out.

--

Dave Peterson