Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sorting based on Drop Down choice

I have a spreadsheet in which I'd like to be able to sort several
columns at different times (depending on what info I'm interested
in). Is there a way I could get excel to automatically sort the data
based on a selection I make from a drop down?

Example:
A1:A10 are names. B1:B10 are their hours worked. C1:C10 is their
output. D1:D10 is their hourly wage. I'd like a cell (say E1) to be
a drop down with three different options: 'hours worked', 'output',
and 'hourly wage.' Based on which of those three I select, the entire
data set would be sorted based on that criteria.

Can anyone help??

Thanks!

-ADH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

you can use auto filter.

Thanks,
--
Farhad Hodjat

" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet in which I'd like to be able to sort several
columns at different times (depending on what info I'm interested
in). Is there a way I could get excel to automatically sort the data
based on a selection I make from a drop down?

Example:
A1:A10 are names. B1:B10 are their hours worked. C1:C10 is their
output. D1:D10 is their hourly wage. I'd like a cell (say E1) to be
a drop down with three different options: 'hours worked', 'output',
and 'hourly wage.' Based on which of those three I select, the entire
data set would be sorted based on that criteria.

Can anyone help??

Thanks!

-ADH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

the autofilter isn't exactly what i'm looking for. does some one have
(or could you create) a macro that toggles between custom views based
on the drop down selection??

On Mar 22, 5:36 pm, Farhad wrote:
Hi,

you can use auto filter.

Thanks,
--
Farhad Hodjat

" wrote:
I have a spreadsheet in which I'd like to be able to sort several
columns at different times (depending on what info I'm interested
in). Is there a way I could get excel to automatically sort the data
based on a selection I make from a drop down?

Example:
A1:A10 are names. B1:B10 are their hours worked. C1:C10 is their
output. D1:D10 is their hourly wage. I'd like a cell (say E1) to be
a drop down with three different options: 'hours worked', 'output',
and 'hourly wage.' Based on which of those three I select, the entire
data set would be sorted based on that criteria.

Can anyone help??

Thanks!

-ADH- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How about an alternative:

In xl2003, you can apply data|filter|autofilter to the range and use the
dropdown arrow to sort your data.

Debra Dalgleish has a technique at her site that adds invisible rectangles in
the headers and then sorts the data by that field when you click on one of those
rectangles.

http://contextures.com/xlSort02.html

wrote:

I have a spreadsheet in which I'd like to be able to sort several
columns at different times (depending on what info I'm interested
in). Is there a way I could get excel to automatically sort the data
based on a selection I make from a drop down?

Example:
A1:A10 are names. B1:B10 are their hours worked. C1:C10 is their
output. D1:D10 is their hourly wage. I'd like a cell (say E1) to be
a drop down with three different options: 'hours worked', 'output',
and 'hourly wage.' Based on which of those three I select, the entire
data set would be sorted based on that criteria.

Can anyone help??

Thanks!

-ADH

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the help, Dave.

I tried using that technique, but I can't seeme to get it to work. I
try to click the cell I want sorted on and I get an error saying that
excel can't find my file.

Any help??

If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm

wrote:

I have a spreadsheet in which I'd like to be able to sort several
columns at different times (depending on what info I'm interested
in). Is there a way I could get excel to automatically sort the data
based on a selection I make from a drop down?

Example:
A1:A10 are names. B1:B10 are their hours worked. C1:C10 is their
output. D1:D10 is their hourly wage. I'd like a cell (say E1) to be
a drop down with three different options: 'hours worked', 'output',
and 'hourly wage.' Based on which of those three I select, the entire
data set would be sorted based on that criteria.

Can anyone help??

Thanks!

-ADH

--

Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm guessing that you used the technique at Debra's site.

But you put the code in a different workbook.

Try it again with the code in the same workbook.

It's worked for a few people, so I'm guessing it was a minor (but important)
oversight.