Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default renaming a named range

Is it possible to rename a named range vs. deleting a named range and then
recreating the same range with a different name? When I do that, any formula
which has a reference to the original range gets an error.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you have to create the new name, do a find/replace and then delete
the old name.

--
Jim
"Steve" wrote in message
| Is it possible to rename a named range vs. deleting a named range and then
| recreating the same range with a different name? When I do that, any
formula
| which has a reference to the original range gets an error.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Yes. If you rename a named range, you will definitely get errors on the
sheet because, the cells value still refers to the previous named range that
nolonger exists.

It would be difficult to identify the number of named range you have
specified in the sheet(s) depending upon the usage of the named range in your
workshhet.

If the named ranges you have used are fewer, then you know them where they
have been used. Otherwise, follow the procedu

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Click the View Tab.
3. Under Windows Option, select the Formulas check box.
4. Click OK. Now you can view all the formulas on the Worksheet.
5. On the Edit menu, click Replace. The Find and Replace dialog appears.
6. In the Find what box, enter the old named range name.
7. In the Replace with box, enter the new named range name
8. click OK. All the old range names will be replace by the new name.
9. Then, follow Step1 to Step2.
10. Under Windows Option, click to clear the Formulas check box.
11. Click OK. Now you can view only the values on the Worksheet

Challa Prabhu