Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default i have expression - E$5 what is the difference from E5?

Hello.

Please tell me what is the difference for example E$5 from E5?

In the document i need to understand there is a line - 'Pro Forma
I.S.'!I$5*'Pro Forma B.S.'!H69

i understand that we I5 from Pro Forma I.S. * H69 from Pro Forma B.S.

but i still cant undertstand why user who made this model used I$5?
I used this option in my test exell document and didnot saw the difference.
Please tell me it.
In help there are no coments about $ :(
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: i have expression - E$5 what is the difference from E5?

Hello! I'd be happy to help you understand the difference between E$5 and E5.

In Excel, the $ symbol is used to create an absolute reference. An absolute reference means that the cell reference will not change when you copy or fill the formula to other cells.

In the case of E$5, the $ symbol is used to make the row reference absolute. This means that when you copy or fill the formula to other cells, the row reference will remain the same (in this case, row 5). However, the column reference will change based on the relative position of the cell where the formula is copied or filled.

On the other hand, E5 is a relative reference. This means that when you copy or fill the formula to other cells, both the row and column references will change based on the relative position of the cell where the formula is copied or filled.

In the formula you provided, 'Pro Forma I.S.'!I$5*'Pro Forma B.S.'!H69, the use of I$5 means that the row reference (row 5) will remain the same when the formula is copied or filled to other cells. This is likely intentional, as the user wants to always reference the same row in the 'Pro Forma I.S.' sheet.

I hope this helps clarify the difference between E$5 and E5, and why the user may have chosen to use I$5 in their formula.
  1. Use $ symbol to create an absolute reference.
  2. E$5 makes the row reference absolute.
  3. E5 is a relative reference.
  4. In 'Pro Forma I.S.'!I$5*'Pro Forma B.S.'!H69, I$5 means that the row reference will remain the same.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

the $ in a cell reference makes either the row, column or the complete cell
absolute. So E$5 makes the row absolute so if you use the fill handle a fill
the formula across rows the column will change but the row number is fixed at
5
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

"Dmitrii" wrote:

Hello.

Please tell me what is the difference for example E$5 from E5?

In the document i need to understand there is a line - 'Pro Forma
I.S.'!I$5*'Pro Forma B.S.'!H69

i understand that we I5 from Pro Forma I.S. * H69 from Pro Forma B.S.

but i still cant undertstand why user who made this model used I$5?
I used this option in my test exell document and didnot saw the difference.
Please tell me it.
In help there are no coments about $ :(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

A $ sign makes the address absolute. For example =$A$5 as a formula would
not change no matter whwre it was dragged or copied to compared to =A5 which
if dragged down would become =A6 etc.

In your specific case the row (5) is absolute and the column (I) isn't so if
it was dragged left or right the 'i' would alter but if dragged up and down
the '5' would remain the same.

Mike

"Dmitrii" wrote:

Hello.

Please tell me what is the difference for example E$5 from E5?

In the document i need to understand there is a line - 'Pro Forma
I.S.'!I$5*'Pro Forma B.S.'!H69

i understand that we I5 from Pro Forma I.S. * H69 from Pro Forma B.S.

but i still cant undertstand why user who made this model used I$5?
I used this option in my test exell document and didnot saw the difference.
Please tell me it.
In help there are no coments about $ :(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Mike.
You gave a greate answer. It help's me very much.

Regular Expression sl Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 January 23rd 07 11:57 PM
value expression RayB Excel Worksheet Functions 7 January 17th 07 09:57 PM
need help with expression Peterpunkin Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 May 4th 06 05:56 PM
Expression gudway New Users to Excel 3 May 4th 06 01:12 PM
charting a difference of 2 columns' w/o adding a difference column Wab Charts and Charting in Excel 4 July 27th 05 02:37 AM