Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
gudway

Default Expression

In Lotus123 there is an expression like
@if(A17" ","Cell is NOT blank","Cell is blank")
Please show how to co this with Excell !
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David McRitchie

Depending on what you really want
=IF(ISBLANK(A17, "Cell is blank", "Cell is NOT blank")

=IF(TRIM(A17)="", "Treat as if Empty","Cell is NOT blank")

However if the cell has a formula then it is not blank, if it has a space
it is not blank, if it has a null string then it is not blank (meaning it is not empty).
---
HTH,

"gudway" wrote in message ...
In Lotus123 there is an expression like
@if(A17" ","Cell is NOT blank","Cell is blank")
Please show how to co this with Excell !
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David McRitchie

Sorry I left out a paren, don't see how you got anything out of it at all
A17: -300
B17: 0.00
C17 =IF(ISBLANK(A17),"====",A17-B17) [-- displays -300 --]
---

"gudway" wrote in message ...
Hello David
Thanks for your reply

In C17 I placed =if(isblank(A17,"====",A17-B17)
In A17 is -300.00 and in B17 is 0.00
I keep getting a positive result of 300 in C17
How can I fix this to get -300.00 in C17
Thanks

"David McRitchie" wrote:

Depending on what you really want
=IF(ISBLANK(A17, "Cell is blank", "Cell is NOT blank")

=IF(TRIM(A17)="", "Treat as if Empty","Cell is NOT blank")

However if the cell has a formula then it is not blank, if it has a space
it is not blank, if it has a null string then it is not blank (meaning it is not empty).
---
HTH,
My Excel Pages:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm