Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Adding Numbers From Web Pages

I've copied some data from a webpage and pasted it into excel. Some of the
data are numbers that I'm trying to add but I can't get excel to recoginze
the data. I can't get the numbers to format as currency. Any ideas?
--
BRG48

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like the numbers are text.

You could try this first.

Format all to General.

Copy an unused empty cell.

Select the range of data and EditPaste Special(in place)AddOKEsc.

If this doesn't coerce the text to numbers, you could have non-breaking
spaces....CHAR 160 which you will need a macro to get rid of.

Post back with your results if trick one doesn't do the job.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:19:02 -0700, BRGIII48
wrote:

I've copied some data from a webpage and pasted it into excel. Some of the
data are numbers that I'm trying to add but I can't get excel to recoginze
the data. I can't get the numbers to format as currency. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord,

Tried the paste special and Excel still doesn't recognize. What is the
marco option?

Thanks for your help!
--
BRG48

wrote:

I've copied some data from a webpage and pasted it into excel. Some of the
data are numbers that I'm trying to add but I can't get excel to recoginze
the data. I can't get the numbers to format as currency. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If A1 contains a pseudo-number, then try:

=(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""),CHAR(160),""))*1

--
Gary's Student
gsnu200711

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gary''s Student wrote...
If A1 contains a pseudo-number, then try:

=(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""),CHAR(160),""))*1

Removing standard ASCII spaces is superfluous. Excel has no problem
ignoring them, e.g., =1+2+" 3 " returns 6 (with Transition
Formula Evaluation disabled).

Also no need for formulas. Select the range, run Edit Replace, clear
the Find what box and before leaving it hold down an [Alt] key and
press in sequence 0 1 6 0 keys on the numeric keypad on the right side
of the keyboard. That should enter a nonbreaking space in the Find
what box. Clear the Replace with box, and click on the Replace All
button. That should convert all numeric strings to numbers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sub Remove_NON_BRK_SPC()
Selection.Replace What:=Chr(160), Replacement:="", _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
End Sub

Gord