Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 Starts in Ready Mode

When I try to open Excel 2007, Excel starts in ready mode but I cannot do
anything. I must close the program and open it several times before the
familiar Excel screen starts up.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Basically that ain't right. Excel 2007 (and all Office 2007 apps) seem a
little slower to me in getting off to real working condition. I also notice
that some apps, such as Outlook don't update their status messages correctly:
Outlook 2007 will put up a "preparing to send" message which remains there
until the send is actually completed and then you get a 'send completed'
message - no "sending" message in between that I've ever seen.

Perhaps this is a combination of them putting up the message too early and
due to increased 'get going' time in general, perhaps you simply have not
waited long enough for it to really start. Might try (if you haven't
already), starting it up and actually noting the time and then wait an
excessively long time to see if it ever does. I'd consider 15 minutes an
excessively long time, since it should be up and running in well under a
minute on most machines, most recently made systems, it should be up in under
15 seconds (takes about 3-4 seconds on this machine: AMD X2 4800+, 2GB RAM).

Then there's the possibility you have a corrupted installation of 2007.
Have you run the Office Diagnostics to see if they show any problems? ...
Open Excel, click the 'Office Button' in the upper left corner, choose the
[Excel Options] button near the lower right of the window that opens, then
choose [Resources] and then run the Office Diagnostics from the next window.

Even if Office Diagnostics shows nothing wrong, if things still aren't
right, might consider either a repair install (first choice) or a complete
uninstall followed by a reinstall of Office 2007/Excel 2007.

Might be nice if this discussion continues to have some specs on your
computer also: CPU, RAM, Operating System (Brand and Model are often helpful
if this is an off-the-shelf system vs home built).

"Owenotti" wrote:

When I try to open Excel 2007, Excel starts in ready mode but I cannot do
anything. I must close the program and open it several times before the
familiar Excel screen starts up.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 Laptop running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. CPU
is 1.60, RA, is 1GB. I have Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 installed. I have
uninstalled Microsoft Office and reinstalled it and it will have the same
problem after opening Excel a couple of times.

"Owenotti" wrote:

When I try to open Excel 2007, Excel starts in ready mode but I cannot do
anything. I must close the program and open it several times before the
familiar Excel screen starts up.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok, a Pentium M at 1.6 GHz, 1 GB RAM should handle it all fine. I'm guessing
that the machine probably scores in the mid-3's in the Vista performance
tests with lowest score probably being in the graphics area.

You said that after reinstalling, things seem OK the first few times you
open Excel but gets inoperable after that. Have you run those Office
Diagnostics yet? When Excel is acting poorly would be best time to do that.
Excel doesn't have to be open, but if you run the tests after a fresh install
while everything is working OK, they may not show any problems.

There are several potential culprits here and I'm not sure that it's in the
scope or even the ability of this forum to deal with them all:
The combination of Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 may just be overwhelming
the 9300 - was it a "Vista Ready" machine? Could be that one driver for one
piece of hardware on it is acting up: laptops often come with unique drivers
for some of their devices. Have you checked the Dell site for drivers for
the machine made specifically for Vista?

You might have some hardware going bad and it's just coincidental that it is
showing up after the new software packages have been installed. Hard drive
and even memory are potential suspects in that category.

One place you may be able to get some more assistance with this is at
http://www.dslreports.com where there are a couple of strong discussion
forums that may be of help. First, they have a general "Microsoft" support
forum at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/microsoft that is hosted by two
Windows MVPs and visited by lots of folks really strong in their knowledge of
the various MSFT software packages. There is also a general 'my laptop is
sick, please help' forum at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/distance_all
where if it gets into the hardware side of things, again some good support is
available. No account is required to ask for help there, although like any
site, people tend to respond to the 'member' more positively than to the
anonymous visitor. Accounts are free and no spam will come out of creating
one. I've been helping moderate that site for close to 7 yrs now and can
vouch for it's quality and 'honesty' (as in no spam, no revealing your
account info to any 3rd party type honesty) - there are close to 30 MVPs in
various areas that call it their internet home.

"Owenotti" wrote:

When I try to open Excel 2007, Excel starts in ready mode but I cannot do
anything. I must close the program and open it several times before the
familiar Excel screen starts up.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, the machine is scoring 3.4 but because of the processor. My video card
gets a 5.9 for the 256 NVida GeForce 6800.

I did some digging around and I found that everything worked fine until I
installed Norton Internet Security 2007. I did go to the Norton site and
downlaod the free Vista upgrade. I have to admit that Norton does work with
Vista but maybe not so well with Office 2007....or at least Excel 2007.

I found that when I disables Norton 2007, I could use Excel without it
starting in ready mode. Once I turned Norton back on, the first time I opened
Excel, it started in ready mode. Looks like Excel 2007 requests a virus scan
and then goes to ready mode. I am sure it could be many things but this is
what I found out so far. Maybe I can try the Norton 360 with better luck.

Just wanted to share my findings and wondered if anyone else had the same
problem. Since I wrote last...I reformatted the hard drive and started over.
I installed rWindows Visata Ultimate and Office 2007 and did all the updates.
Office Excel 2007 ran without any problems. I installed Norton Internet
Security 2007 last and the very first time I opened excel after that....it
started in "Ready mode..."

"Owenotti" wrote:

When I try to open Excel 2007, Excel starts in ready mode but I cannot do
anything. I must close the program and open it several times before the
familiar Excel screen starts up.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, the DSLReports site also has a 'Security' forum (where many MVPs in
Security hang out, and I mean many). They may be able to shed some light on
the Norton or A-V side of things. Thanks for providing that information.

I stopped using Symantec products years ago - they caused too many issues
for me on too many machines. For my non-Vista (Win XP Pro) systems I use
Kaspersky anti-virus. I understand their current offering (Personal 6.0)
works with Vista but have not tried it - I have a license for their Business
Optimal package and it's not Vista friendly. For my Vista machines I
initially used Avast! (free for home/personal use and pretty darned good),
but I've moved on up to Eset's NOD32, which is reputed to be one of the best
(next to Kaspersky?? <g) in the business. I've not had any troubles on my
desktop setup using NOD32 with Vista or Office 2007.

An interesting side note in the anti-virus world is that a few months back
ZDNet out of Australia put up the results of a study they did and found that
the "top 3" A-V programs in use (top-3 by # of users) were possibly the least
secure and could be permitting as much as 80% of malware go undetected. The
reason is not that they have a bad product, but that the virus and virus
related distribution community are specifically targeting those anti-viruses
with the intent to fool and bypass them. It's kind of like viruses targeting
MSFT operating system platforms in general: when you sit on the top of the
hill, everybody is sniping at you. (
http://www.zdnet.com.au/blogs/securi...9264249,00.htm )

Some other interesting reads on quality and functionality of some of the
higher end AV products available:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-5554837-1.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/Kaspersky_An...-32004282.html
http://www.cnet.com.au/software/secu...9271947,00.htm

A couple of other good security information sites are
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
and
http://www.castlecops.com/ run by my good friend (and MSFT MVP - Security)
Paul Laudanski is just great.

"Owenotti" wrote:

When I try to open Excel 2007, Excel starts in ready mode but I cannot do
anything. I must close the program and open it several times before the
familiar Excel screen starts up.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I stopped using any NAV products, they appear to hog everything and make the
machine unusable for long periods. I too am using ESET Nod32 and it is
working great with Vista/Office2007 and 2003. You don't know it's there
except the daily pop-up saying the data files have been updated.

I also like AVG which offer a free personal use version that seemed to work
well with my combination

--
HTH
Nick Hodge