Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Crosstabs do not copy as I would like when copying worksheets

When I make a copy of a worksheet (into a new tab in the same workbook) that
contains a crosstab, the cell references of the crosstab retain the reference
to the original (old) worksheet. This is not what I want.

In other words, when I copy a worksheet that contains crosstabs, I have to
go into each crosstab on the new worksheet and reset all the cell references
to point to the new worksheet (instead of the old/prior/original worksheet).

This appears to me to be a different behavior then a regular "cell". If the
original cell references "A1" on the old worksheet, after the copy, the same
cell references "A1" on the NEW worksheet. But NOT FOR CROSTABS!!

Is there any way to have the crosstab reference the NEW worksheet instead of
the original worksheet ?

FYI, The technique I use to copy a worksheet is to right-click the tab at
the bottom - "move or copy" - "Move to end" - check "Create a copy".

Sorry for the long post - it's hard to explain. Using Excel 2003 SP2.

Thanks,

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

It depends upon how you are doing the copy.
If you have Sheet1 with a formula in A1 which say =Sheet1!B1,
then if you mark all the cells of the sheet (Ctrl+A)Copymove to
sheet2Paste
the Sheet2 cell A1 will say =Sheet1!A1.

However, if you hold down the Control button, click on the sheet tab and
drag to the right, this will create a copy of Sheet1 and it will be
titled by default as Sheet1 (2)
Cell A will have the formula ='Sheet1 (2)!'A1 which when you rename the
sheet to say "new" will become =new!A1.

If you are wanting to make the copy in another workbook, then right
click on the sheet tabMove or Copyclick make copySelect Destination
workbook and the behaviour will also be as described above.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"PSchmidt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Roger, thanks for your response. I agree with your thinking for "normal"
cells, but NOT FOR PIVITTABLES!! (I believe).

For example, if I make a copy of sheet1 (which I have named "01-07"), the
Pivot table references cell range "'01-07'!$A$1:$C$6". And when I make a copy
of the sheet, even using the Ctrl-Key you suggested, the name of the new
worksheet is "01-07 (2)" as you would expect, but the pivot table STILL
REFERENCES the old range of "'01-07'!$A$1:$C$6" and NOT "'01-07
(2)'!$A$1:$C$6" as I would like. Doesn't it work this way for you ??

Note: This has been driving me crazy for years.

Thanks,

Peter

"PSchmidt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

I had not realised you were talking about Pivot Tables till I saw your
later posting.

Yes, it does do the same for me if I copy a PT by either method, but it
is a simple task to change
On the new PT, right click on the PTWizardBackData
amend "'01-07 '!$A$1:$C$6" to "'01-07 (2)'!$A$1:$C$6"

Incidentally, are you the P Schmidt I know from Gloucestershire?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"PSchmidt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Right - it's simple to change, except that after doing it about 2,000,000
times (ok - slight exaggeration) it get's tiring and time consuming.

I'm happy to hear that I don't appear to be missing something obvious. It
just seems to me that the way it works is counter intuitive.

I am NOT the P Schmidt you know from Gloucestershire, but I still really
appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Peter

"PSchmidt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Maybe counter-intuitive, but for a reason.
When you create multiple Pivot Tables, XL asks if you want to base the
second, 3rd tables etc. upon the data range used for the first. This
reduces file size by having a smaller Pivot cache, and gives a single
cache to refresh.
I guess that hewn you copy a PT, XL thinks you may be wanting to just
"pivot" the same data another way - after all, that's what it's all
about - and tries to conserve resources.

On the other hand, I may be crediting the MS designers with too much
thought<vbg
So, annoying at times, but understandable.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"PSchmidt" wrote in message
Roger, thanks for your response. I agree with your thinking for
"normal"
cells, but NOT FOR PIVITTABLES!! (I believe).

For example, if I make a copy of sheet1 (which I have named
"01-07"),
the
Pivot table references cell range "'01-07'!$A$1:$C$6". And when I
make
a copy
of the sheet, even using the Ctrl-Key you suggested, the name of
the
new
worksheet is "01-07 (2)" as you would expect, but the pivot table
STILL
REFERENCES the old range of "'01-07'!$A$1:$C$6" and NOT "'01-07
(2)'!$A$1:$C$6" as I would like. Doesn't it work this way for you
??