Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default All numbers won't sort

I am sorting numbers in a column. All are formatted number. When paint the
column to sort, there are some numbers that will sort and others don't so
anything.

They look like below:

79668
79672
79762
73025
73026
73027
73033
73042
73050
73057
75028
75029
75031
75053
75057
79637
79638
79639

Why won't they all sort?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you type:
=counta(a1:a10)
in an empty cell
and
=count(a1:a10)
in another
(and adjust the range to match your data)

Do you see the same results?

I'm guessing that some of your "numbers" are really text--changing the format
isn't enough to change the underlying value.

One way to convert text numbers to number numbers:

Select an empty cell
edit|copy
select your range to fix
edit|paste special|check Add

And try your sort again.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Some cells may be formatted differently and in a way which is not
immediately obvious. Sort the cells and have a look (edit) at the cells
either side of the 'point of error'. Those which are straight numbers are
'true' numbers. Those that have a ' in front of them are formatted as text.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions