Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default hlookup

hi community

when i created a table horizontally, a value from Ascending scale...
example:

mark: 0 30 40 60 80 90
grade F E D C B A

and when I used the =hlookup to find the approximate mark say, 85, I able to
obtain "B"

however when I reverse the mark to Descending scale...
and use the same hlookup method with 85 I obtain an "F"

is there a way to find the correct grade if I place the mark in Descending
scale ??

thanks community for help render :)

--
oldLearner57
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With your table in A1:F2 and your search argument in A4:

=INDEX(A2:F2,,MATCH(A4,A1:F1,-1))

Gives you "A"

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"tikchye_oldLearner57" wrote in message
| hi community
|
| when i created a table horizontally, a value from Ascending scale...
| example:
|
| mark: 0 30 40 60 80 90
| grade F E D C B A
|
| and when I used the =hlookup to find the approximate mark say, 85, I able to
| obtain "B"
|
| however when I reverse the mark to Descending scale...
| and use the same hlookup method with 85 I obtain an "F"
|
| is there a way to find the correct grade if I place the mark in Descending
| scale ??
|
| thanks community for help render :)
|
| --
| oldLearner57

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You would need ot add a new row which is 100-Mark

mark : 90 80 60 40 30 0
Nmark:10 20 40 60 80 90
grade A B C D E F

Then take the grade ans subtract from 100 and lookup in the Nmark row.
Mark