Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default IF formula in spreadsheet

C1 is the sum of A1 and A2
How can I get C1 to remain empty unless there is a number in BOTH cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=IF(OR(A1="",A2=""),"",A1+A2)

--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200709

"Dennis1188" wrote:

C1 is the sum of A1 and A2
How can I get C1 to remain empty unless there is a number in BOTH cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dennis, this should do it, =IF(OR(ISBLANK(A1),ISBLANK(A2)),"",A1+A2)

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Dennis1188" wrote in message
C1 is the sum of A1 and A2
How can I get C1 to remain empty unless there is a number in BOTH cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

PERFECT!!!
Now let's try one other thing... I would like it to do the same thing if we
put in the number 0

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

=IF(OR(A1="",A2=""),"",A1+A2)

--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200709

"Dennis1188" wrote:

C1 is the sum of A1 and A2
How can I get C1 to remain empty unless there is a number in BOTH cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=IF(OR(A1=0,A2=0),"",A1+A2)

--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200709

"Dennis1188" wrote:

PERFECT!!!
Now let's try one other thing... I would like it to do the same thing if we
put in the number 0

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

=IF(OR(A1="",A2=""),"",A1+A2)

--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200709

"Dennis1188" wrote:

C1 is the sum of A1 and A2
How can I get C1 to remain empty unless there is a number in BOTH cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

THANK YOU!!!

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

=IF(OR(A1=0,A2=0),"",A1+A2)

--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200709

"Dennis1188" wrote:

PERFECT!!!
Now let's try one other thing... I would like it to do the same thing if we
put in the number 0

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

=IF(OR(A1="",A2=""),"",A1+A2)

--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200709

"Dennis1188" wrote:

C1 is the sum of A1 and A2
How can I get C1 to remain empty unless there is a number in BOTH cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If(A1*A2,A1+A2,"")

Dennis1188 wrote:

C1 is the sum of A1 and A2
How can I get C1 to remain empty unless there is a number in BOTH cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just one note of caution. If you've got a zero for one or both numbers,
that formula would return a blank, not zero.
--
David Biddulph

"Bob I" wrote in message
If(A1*A2,A1+A2,"")

Dennis1188 wrote:

C1 is the sum of A1 and A2
How can I get C1 to remain empty unless there is a number in BOTH cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The final request was "blanks or zero"= nothing