Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default forcing leading zeros as default?

I see several questions and answers on this. I know I can go to custom format
and for example put 00000.00 to get the display with leading zeros like I
want, but is there a way to make that be the default? I am sending this file
to a user and don't want to make them do this. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Custom Formats are saved with the workbook so user will see the same formatting.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:10:13 -0800, wrapumup
wrote:

I see several questions and answers on this. I know I can go to custom format
and for example put 00000.00 to get the display with leading zeros like I
want, but is there a way to make that be the default? I am sending this file
to a user and don't want to make them do this. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can put it into a worksheet open sub routine. See below.
Add the macro to the Thisworkbook sheet in the VBA editor.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
'
' Macro1 Macro
' Macro recorded 2/28/2007 by Joel Warburg
'

'
Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells.Select
Selection.NumberFormat = "000000.00"
End Sub

"wrapumup" wrote:

I see several questions and answers on this. I know I can go to custom format
and for example put 00000.00 to get the display with leading zeros like I
want, but is there a way to make that be the default? I am sending this file
to a user and don't want to make them do this. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I missed some kind of reference to "CSV" in the original post or is this just
for information only?

Gord

wrote:

I see several questions and answers on this. I know I can go to custom format
and for example put 00000.00 to get the display with leading zeros like I
want, but is there a way to make that be the default? I am sending this file
to a user and don't want to make them do this. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No reference to CSV, but the poster said that the
formatting got lost and could be [re]created using
format cells. At least that's guess as to why something
does not work.
I am sending this file to a user and don't want to
make them do this.

It can't be a clear question when you know you simply
could not format all numbers as 00000.00 and have
readable data.

wrote:

I see several questions and answers on this. I know I can go to custom format
and for example put 00000.00 to get the display with leading zeros like I
want, but is there a way to make that be the default? I am sending this file
to a user and don't want to make them do this. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OP did not say the formatting did not work.

Just asked if the formatting would stick if he sent the file to someone.

Sounded to me that he had not yet sent the file but who knows?

Gord

wrote:

I see several questions and answers on this. I know I can go to custom format
and for example put 00000.00 to get the display with leading zeros like I
want, but is there a way to make that be the default? I am sending this file
to a user and don't want to make them do this. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I pull this file in and save it with leading zeros using the custom
formatting. I can then open up that text file and see them but when I open it
back up in Excel it cuts of the zeros again. Actuall what is happening is one
program creates a comma delimited file. I want to send that to the user but
when she opens it, I would like it to open up with the default of custom
having the leading zeros so she does not have to customize it each time. I
hope this is clearer sorry I was not so clear the first time.

"wrapumup" wrote:

I see several questions and answers on this. I know I can go to custom format
and for example put 00000.00 to get the display with leading zeros like I
want, but is there a way to make that be the default? I am sending this file
to a user and don't want to make them do this. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

By golly..........David was right<g

If you save the file as *.txt instead of *.csv when opened in Excel you will get
the Import Wizard.

In third step specify Column Data FormatText.

Gord

"wrapumup" wrote:

I see several questions and answers on this. I know I can go to custom format
and for example put 00000.00 to get the display with leading zeros like I
want, but is there a way to make that be the default? I am sending this file
to a user and don't want to make them do this. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you create that comma delimited file and name it something.csv, then excel
will open the file anyway it wants. There's nothing in that CSV file that can
help.

But if you create the comma delimited file and name it something.txt (not .csv),
then when the user opens it (via File|Open), that user will see a text to
columns wizard and then they can specify that certain fields be imported as
text--and keep those leading 0's.

If you keep it as a .csv file, then you can apply a custom format after it's
open--but that'll be up to the user who opens the file.

"wrapumup" wrote:

I see several questions and answers on this. I know I can go to custom format
and for example put 00000.00 to get the display with leading zeros like I
want, but is there a way to make that be the default? I am sending this file
to a user and don't want to make them do this. Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson