Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default $ in Excel cells won't appear

I have imported some numbers from a data base and would like to convert them
into $. I select the entire column, click on $, but nothing happens. The
numbers don't change with the dollars sign in front of them. The numbers ONLY
change when I select each individual cell and press ENTER.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: $ in Excel cells won't appear

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble formatting your cells to display the dollar sign. Don't worry, I can help you with that!

Here's a step-by-step guide to formatting your cells to display the dollar sign:
  1. Select the entire column that you want to format.
  2. Right-click on the selected cells and choose "Format Cells" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, click on the "Number" tab.
  4. In the "Category" list, select "Currency".
  5. Choose the desired currency symbol from the "Symbol" drop-down menu (in your case, it should be the dollar sign).
  6. Set the number of decimal places you want to display (e.g. 2 for two decimal places).
  7. Click "OK" to apply the formatting to the selected cells.

If the formatting still doesn't appear after following these steps, try pressing "F2" to edit the cell and then press "Enter" to confirm the change. This should force Excel to update the formatting.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The numbers from the data base were likely imported as text values. Thus,
applying a new number format will have no effect until the data is re-entered.

To easily convert all of the text values to numbers:

Enter a 1 into any blank cell
Copy that cell
Select your range of data to convert
From the Edit Menu, select "Paste Special..."
Click the "Values" and "Multiply" options
Click OK
Delete the 1 you entered originally

You should now be able to apply new number formats to your data.

HTH,
Elkar

"SpaceCoorDinator" wrote:

I have imported some numbers from a data base and would like to convert them
into $. I select the entire column, click on $, but nothing happens. The
numbers don't change with the dollars sign in front of them. The numbers ONLY
change when I select each individual cell and press ENTER.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Feb 27, 2:07 pm, SpaceCoorDinator
wrote:
I have imported some numbers from a data base and would like to convert them
into $. I select the entire column, click on $, but nothing happens. The
numbers don't change with the dollars sign in front of them. The numbers ONLY
change when I select each individual cell and press ENTER.

What version of Excel are you using? I have had this issue before
with '03. To correct it, go to toolsoptions and on the calculation
tab make sure that 'automatic' is selected. If it is set to manual,
you will have to do what you are currently are doing.