Junior Member

Default Lists for List Validation

I am trying to use validation by list on a sheet in a workbook.

As the sheet it appears on is designed as a customer interface, and the valid datalist is already on another sheet I would like to be able to set the list source to the other sheet. I have tried to do this several times but the validation selection boxes seems to reject it everytime I try to link to the other sheet.

Is there a way to set this please.
Sheet name Catologue data has the list of data in cells A2:A8
I want to use the list validation on a sheet called Customer Lookup
Junior Member

The list of similar queries has given me the solution of naming the list. So thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Ruth

There's two ways to do this:

1. Use Indirect as the list source (so in DataValidationAllowList
use:

=INDRECT("'Customer Data'!A2:A8")

(note the single quotes before and after the sheet name)

or 2. Define a name (say ValidList) which refers to you validation
list on sheet Customer Data (ie via InsertNameDefine).

Then in DataValidationAllowList use:

=ValidList

I hope this helps!

Richard