Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel 2007 - compile error in hidden module - modcustomfunctions

running excel 2007 on windows vista.

have a client xls file that I know has macros and that is a protected
workbook.

I have zero issues with the file in excel 2003 when I open the file. all
data is there and intact and valid.

in excel 2007 however several sheets in the workbook have all the cells go
to #NAME

I went into excel 2007 options and trust center options and turned on the
enable all macros option to resolve that.

however with that option on I get the VB error dialog - compile error in
hidden module modCustomFunctions

and the ok button and close is useless. excel has to be end tasked.

excel 2007 becomes unuseable, the xls file unopenable.

I have found zero documentation on the modcustomfunctions

I have found documentation on compile error in hidden module, but nothing
that is applicable here. I have zero files in both xlstart folders and have
Adobe reader 8.

so I need help with resolving the issue of the vb error when macros option
is turned on or being able to get the data values when macros is off.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So in what workbook or add-in is the module modCustomFunctions? If it's not
in your client xls then it is presumably in an add-in. What add-ins are
being loaded under Excel Options, Add-ins?

--
Jim
"David" wrote in message
| running excel 2007 on windows vista.
|
| have a client xls file that I know has macros and that is a protected
| workbook.
|
| I have zero issues with the file in excel 2003 when I open the file. all
| data is there and intact and valid.
|
| in excel 2007 however several sheets in the workbook have all the cells go
| to #NAME
|
| I went into excel 2007 options and trust center options and turned on the
| enable all macros option to resolve that.
|
| however with that option on I get the VB error dialog - compile error in
| hidden module modCustomFunctions
|
| and the ok button and close is useless. excel has to be end tasked.
|
| excel 2007 becomes unuseable, the xls file unopenable.
|
| I have found zero documentation on the modcustomfunctions
|
| I have found documentation on compile error in hidden module, but nothing
| that is applicable here. I have zero files in both xlstart folders and
have
| Adobe reader 8.
|
| so I need help with resolving the issue of the vb error when macros option
| is turned on or being able to get the data values when macros is off.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel 2007 - compile error in hidden module - modcustomfunctio

there are a bunch that are under inactive applications, none that resemble
this.
the only one active is VSTO excel adapter.

I don't find such a macro in the file. Viewing the macros in the workbook
there are 3 - named as such - modMaintenance.gs[x]

David

"David" wrote in message
| running excel 2007 on windows vista.
|
| have a client xls file that I know has macros and that is a protected
| workbook.
|
| I have zero issues with the file in excel 2003 when I open the file. all
| data is there and intact and valid.
|
| in excel 2007 however several sheets in the workbook have all the cells go
| to #NAME
|
| I went into excel 2007 options and trust center options and turned on the
| enable all macros option to resolve that.
|
| however with that option on I get the VB error dialog - compile error in
| hidden module modCustomFunctions
|
| and the ok button and close is useless. excel has to be end tasked.
|
| excel 2007 becomes unuseable, the xls file unopenable.
|
| I have found zero documentation on the modcustomfunctions
|
| I have found documentation on compile error in hidden module, but nothing
| that is applicable here. I have zero files in both xlstart folders and
have
| Adobe reader 8.
|
| so I need help with resolving the issue of the vb error when macros option
| is turned on or being able to get the data values when macros is off.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

the only one active is VSTO excel adapter.

Well, I'd see what happened with that one inactive. You can always put it
back.

Have you looked at Tools, References in the VBE when this app is active?
Anything 'missing'?

--
Jim
"David Bartosik" wrote in message
| there are a bunch that are under inactive applications, none that resemble
| this.
| the only one active is VSTO excel adapter.
|
| I don't find such a macro in the file. Viewing the macros in the workbook
| there are 3 - named as such - modMaintenance.gs[x]
|
| David
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| So in what workbook or add-in is the module modCustomFunctions? If it's
not
| in your client xls then it is presumably in an add-in. What add-ins are
| being loaded under Excel Options, Add-ins?
|
| --
| Jim
| "David" wrote in message
| | running excel 2007 on windows vista.
| |
| | have a client xls file that I know has macros and that is a protected
| | workbook.
| |
| | I have zero issues with the file in excel 2003 when I open the file.
all
| | data is there and intact and valid.
| |
| | in excel 2007 however several sheets in the workbook have all the
cells go
| | to #NAME
| |
| | I went into excel 2007 options and trust center options and turned on
the
| | enable all macros option to resolve that.
| |
| | however with that option on I get the VB error dialog - compile error
in
| | hidden module modCustomFunctions
| |
| | and the ok button and close is useless. excel has to be end tasked.
| |
| | excel 2007 becomes unuseable, the xls file unopenable.
| |
| | I have found zero documentation on the modcustomfunctions
| |
| | I have found documentation on compile error in hidden module, but
nothing
| | that is applicable here. I have zero files in both xlstart folders and
| have
| | Adobe reader 8.
| |
| | so I need help with resolving the issue of the vb error when macros
option
| | is turned on or being able to get the data values when macros is off.
| |
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

any modification to the vsto add-in is not allowed. message dialog basically
states that change to the add-in is not allowed because it's been added to
registry.

the references item is grayed out on the tools menu.

"Jim Rech" wrote:

the only one active is VSTO excel adapter.

Well, I'd see what happened with that one inactive. You can always put it
back.

Have you looked at Tools, References in the VBE when this app is active?
Anything 'missing'?

--
Jim
"David Bartosik" wrote in message
| there are a bunch that are under inactive applications, none that resemble
| this.
| the only one active is VSTO excel adapter.
|
| I don't find such a macro in the file. Viewing the macros in the workbook
| there are 3 - named as such - modMaintenance.gs[x]
|
| David
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| So in what workbook or add-in is the module modCustomFunctions? If it's
not
| in your client xls then it is presumably in an add-in. What add-ins are
| being loaded under Excel Options, Add-ins?
|
| --
| Jim
| "David" wrote in message
| | running excel 2007 on windows vista.
| |
| | have a client xls file that I know has macros and that is a protected
| | workbook.
| |
| | I have zero issues with the file in excel 2003 when I open the file.
all
| | data is there and intact and valid.
| |
| | in excel 2007 however several sheets in the workbook have all the
cells go
| | to #NAME
| |
| | I went into excel 2007 options and trust center options and turned on
the
| | enable all macros option to resolve that.
| |
| | however with that option on I get the VB error dialog - compile error
in
| | hidden module modCustomFunctions
| |
| | and the ok button and close is useless. excel has to be end tasked.
| |
| | excel 2007 becomes unuseable, the xls file unopenable.
| |
| | I have found zero documentation on the modcustomfunctions
| |
| | I have found documentation on compile error in hidden module, but
nothing
| | that is applicable here. I have zero files in both xlstart folders and
| have
| | Adobe reader 8.
| |
| | so I need help with resolving the issue of the vb error when macros
option
| | is turned on or being able to get the data values when macros is off.
| |
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The #NAME probably comes up when the workbook is opened without enabling
macros, so the UDFs are not recognized. When macros are enabled, it would
make the #NAME error go away, but any procedures that alter the commandbars
may give you the compile error, since 2007 only marginally supports
commandbars. Sure, some custom buttons will be added to the add-ins tab. But
if the code inserts a button in a particular place on a particular menu or
command bar, say, before the "Print" control, it can't find the Print
control, and you get the error. I had to completely redo my personal macros
workbook because of this incompatibility.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've determined the source of the problem is the existence of the new iferror
function in excel 2007.
these are client excel files that contain 3rd party custom code which is
protected and hence inaccessible. the custom code has a custom iferror
function.
so excel 2007 basically blows up.
the only option I can think of to get around this is if the excel 2007
iferror function can be disabled, that is globally on the program side, not
file specific.
can a built in function be turned off?

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I get exactly the same error in Excel, if there are VBA modules that
are password protected and one of them encounters an error the whole
of Excel explodes. If you can somehow go into the VBA and unlock the
module with the password then it works from there.

The other thing I have noticed is that when Excel blows up and you
restart, you need to check BEFORE in Task Manager that an instance of
EXCEL.EXE is not still running as otherwise it doesnt release the
variables causing the error and it keeps on happening.

Basically .... in a nutshell, clear down ALL of Excel and then restart
the program .....

HTH