Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sort a list with cells referring to others cells

Hi all. Im doing a big paper on heuristics in economics and I am going crazy
over this detail I cant get to work, hope you can help.

I am trying to sort a list of numbers, but the cells in which the numbers
are listed are really referring to other cells. When I use the sort function,
nothing happens.

Cant his be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi bigwheel

I dont wont to sort the sorce cells, only the actual numbers in the new
colum. Exampel:

Original numbers New colum refering to theoriginal numbers
(this i would like to sort)
2 =A2 (2)
965 =A3 (965)
852 =A4 (852)
58 =A5 (58)
51 =A6 (51)
8 =A7 (8)
954 =A8 (954)

I would like the outcome to be:

Original numbers New colum refering to theoriginal numbers
(this is now sorted in the new colum, and
not in the original)
2 =A2 (2)
965 =A7 (8)
852 =A6 (51)
58 =A5 (58)
51 =A4 (852)
8 =A8 (954)
954 =A3 (965)

Does this make sense?

"Friis(DK)" wrote:

Hi all. Im doing a big paper on heuristics in economics and I am going crazy
over this detail I cant get to work, hope you can help.

I am trying to sort a list of numbers, but the cells in which the numbers
are listed are really referring to other cells. When I use the sort function,
nothing happens.

Cant his be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With
A2:A10 containing formulas referencing numeric cells
Assuming the formula returns an empty string if the referenced cell is blank.
Example:
A2: =IF(L2<"",L2,"")

This formula will list the values in A2:A10 in ascending order:
B2: =IF(ROWS($A$2:A2)<=COUNT($A$2:$A$10),SMALL($A$2:$A $10,ROWS($A$2:A2)),"")

Example:
Refs Col_A Col_B
Row_2: 2 2
Row_3: 965 8
Row_4: 852 51
Row_5: 58 58
Row_6: 51 852
Row_7: 8 954
Row_8: 954 965
Row_9: (blank) (blank)
Row_10: (blank) (blank)

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Friis(DK)" wrote:

Hi all. Im doing a big paper on heuristics in economics and I am going crazy
over this detail I cant get to work, hope you can help.

I am trying to sort a list of numbers, but the cells in which the numbers
are listed are really referring to other cells. When I use the sort function,
nothing happens.

Cant his be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey, you just saved my night - thanks a million, I love the Internet and
everyone on it :)

After a little testing I have run into a problem with the formula, I can't
use it in the same colum as the numbers i whish to sort are listed in. Is
there a way around this?

Btw: Am I right in assuming that there are no standard formula in Excel that
can do what this formula does?

***************
Regards,
Friis(DK)
XL2007, WinXP

"Friis(DK)" wrote:

Hi all. Im doing a big paper on heuristics in economics and I am going crazy
over this detail I cant get to work, hope you can help.

I am trying to sort a list of numbers, but the cells in which the numbers
are listed are really referring to other cells. When I use the sort function,
nothing happens.

Cant his be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I can't
use it in the same colum as the numbers i whish to sort are listed in.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean in that statement.
Can you give an example?

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP