Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I need to add 3 letters into each cell at the begn./Cell has #'s

I have a column of #'s, I need to add 3 letters in each cell before the #'s.
Is there a formula for this, so I wouldn't have to retype all the #'s?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use a formula like the following in another, blank, column:

="XYZ"&A1

where "XYZ" are the letter you want to prepend to the cell value. Copy this
formula down as far as you need to go. If want to permanently change
original value, you can copy the formula range and Paste Special, Value,
from the Edit menu to paste the values on top of the original data. Then you
can delete formula column.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Sharon R" wrote in message
I have a column of #'s, I need to add 3 letters in each cell before the
#'s.
Is there a formula for this, so I wouldn't have to retype all the #'s?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Create a helper column with the following formula (assumes your numbers are
in column A):

=CONCATENATE("xxx",A1) and fill down to the end of your range. Then copy
the helper column, paste special, values, on column A, and delete the helper
column.

Dave