harriet

Default macro relative referencing

I'm trying to record a macro. I record it in a cell. When I run it in another
cell it puts the data from the cell I recorded it in in the new cell. I
don't think it is using a relative reference. I have the stop recording
button in view & I have selected relative reference but it still keeps
refering back to the original cell I made the macro in. I sure need help,
I'm going nuts.

thank you in advance!!
galimi

Harriet,

The button next to the Stop Recording button is the Relative Reference
recording. Try clicking that to see if you get the desired results.

http://HelpExcel.com

"harriet" wrote:

I'm trying to record a macro. I record it in a cell. When I run it in another
cell it puts the data from the cell I recorded it in in the new cell. I
don't think it is using a relative reference. I have the stop recording
button in view & I have selected relative reference but it still keeps
refering back to the original cell I made the macro in. I sure need help,
I'm going nuts.

thank you in advance!!

Debra Dalgleish

What do you want the macro to do?
What steps to you do while recording the macro?

What does the recorded code look like?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

harriet

Hi Debra,

I'm not in the least bit knowledgable on macros & I'm just using the recorder.
I have gone about doing what i wanted to do another way, but I still need to
know how to do this so I can do other macros.

I wanted to go in a cell, cursor past social secuirty numbers that is right
next to names, so that only the name would be left would be the name. then
keep going down the column & run the macro in all the other cells.

1. I have cells that have a social security number & the persons name next
to it
2. I want the cell only to have the name in it
3. so I try to record a macro
4. I put the cursor at the beginning of the cell
5. I take the cursor & do control arrow over until it goes past the social
security number
6. then backspace to the beginning of the cell
7. that gets rid of the social security number & leaves only the names
8. then hit enter & the cursor goes down one row (which I want)
9. then I stop the recorder
10 then I do the same thing in that row below it
11 but what happens is the name from the above cell appears in that cell
12 it happens no matter what row I put the cursor in - if it is 20 rows
below the row I made the macro in
13. so i thought it is a relative problem
14 so i hit that relative button at least 20 times doesn't make a difference

any chance can you help me?

harriet wrote:
I'm trying to record a macro. I record it in a cell. When I run it in another
cell it puts the data from the cell I recorded it in in the new cell. I
don't think it is using a relative reference. I have the stop recording
button in view & I have selected relative reference but it still keeps
refering back to the original cell I made the macro in. I sure need help,
I'm going nuts.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Debra Dalgleish

When you record a macro, it doesn't record what you're doing inside the
cell, it only records the result when you press the Enter key. If you
have relative referencing turned on, it also records "go down one cell",
instead of "go to cell A2."

So, when you pressed the Enter key, the macro recorded the name that was
in the cell that you changed. When you run the macro, it enters that
name in the selected cell, and moves down one cell.

For this situation, instead of a macro, and assuming all social security
numbers are the same number of characters, you could use DataText to
Columns to remove the number.