Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Getting to last used cell

Hello All,
Is there a shortcut for getting to last filled/used cell in a spreadsheet ?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

CTRL+END

Dave

"A Big Dummy" wrote:

Hello All,
Is there a shortcut for getting to last filled/used cell in a spreadsheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

You could try Edit/GoTo/Special - last cell (or Control+End), however,
sometimes the last cell does not have data in it (it could just have some
formatting done to it - or sometimes excel gets confused as to what the last
cell is). Also, if you have data in cell D14 and F11, the last cell will be
F14 (intersection of the last row/last column).

You can also hold down the Control key and hit one of the arrow keys which
will take you to the end (you will have to hit the arrow key several times if
there are breaks in your data - or select a cell in an empty column hit
Cntrl+Down Arrow to go the the bottom of the sheet, then click on a cell in
the column you want and hit Cntrl+Up Arrow).

Or you could try a macro, but depending on what you consider the last cell
(in the above example, would it be cell D14 or F11), you may need to change
Searchorder from xlByRows to xlByColumns.

Sub Macro1()
Cells.Find(What:="*", _
After:=Range("A1"), _
LookIn:=xlValues, _
LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, _
MatchCase:=False).Activate
End Sub

"A Big Dummy" wrote:

Hello All,
Is there a shortcut for getting to last filled/used cell in a spreadsheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the input.
Ctrl + End goes to cell G 1643 and my data ends at F 1308.
I do not understand why it goes to that cell as my end. I tried selecting
all the blank rows after 1308 and deleting them and clearing them, but it
still goes there.

I am using excel 2003.

"A Big Dummy" wrote:

Hello All,
Is there a shortcut for getting to last filled/used cell in a spreadsheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

Try saving the workbook and reopening it.

http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

"A Big Dummy" wrote:

Hello All,
Is there a shortcut for getting to last filled/used cell in a spreadsheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

After deleting.....not clearing.........the rows below 1308 you must SAVE the
workbook for your changes to take effect.

Excel commonly over-estimates the used range of a worksheet if you have used
those cells at one time then just cleared the contents.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"A Big Dummy" wrote:

Hello All,
Is there a shortcut for getting to last filled/used cell in a spreadsheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well that did work. I just had to go all the way to row 65536 to delete all
of them, but now I can CRTL +End and get to the last filled cell on my
worksheet.

Thank you.

"A Big Dummy" wrote:

Hello All,
Is there a shortcut for getting to last filled/used cell in a spreadsheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Shortcut.................

Select row 1309 then SHIFT + End + DownArrow to select to 65536.

Gord

"A Big Dummy" wrote:

Hello All,
Is there a shortcut for getting to last filled/used cell in a spreadsheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I believe that *jumps* to the last row.

To *select* to the last row:
<Ctrl <Shift <DownArrow

RD

"A Big Dummy" wrote:

Hello All,
Is there a shortcut for getting to last filled/used cell in a
spreadsheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Would have saved you some scrolling if I had included that in my original
post<g

But now you know for future.

Help "keyboard shortcuts" will show you a ton of these tricks.

Gord

"A Big Dummy" wrote:

Hello All,
Is there a shortcut for getting to last filled/used cell in a spreadsheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

RD

In all versions of Excel ever worked with, I have used SHIFT + End + DownArrow
to select all from start row/cell to 65536(16384 on 95 version)

Maybe you are thinking of just End + DownArrow without the SHIFT

Yes..........CTRL + SHIFT + DownArrow does the same job.

Gord

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:57:12 -0800, "Ragdyer" wrote:

I believe that *jumps* to the last row.

To *select* to the last row:
<Ctrl <Shift <DownArrow

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need to delete both columns and rows beyond your last used cell and save
the file.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"A Big Dummy" wrote:

Thanks for the input.
Ctrl + End goes to cell G 1643 and my data ends at F 1308.
I do not understand why it goes to that cell as my end. I tried
selecting
all the blank rows after 1308 and deleting them and clearing them, but it
still goes there.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're right Gord.
I just have to learn how to read English.

I *thought* I saw:
<Ctrl <End <DownArrow

I don't know if it's the eyes or the brain that's going.
I'm sure it has *nothing* to do with the adult beverages!<bg

RD

RD

In all versions of Excel ever worked with, I have used SHIFT + End +
DownArrow
to select all from start row/cell to 65536(16384 on 95 version)

Maybe you are thinking of just End + DownArrow without the SHIFT

Yes..........CTRL + SHIFT + DownArrow does the same job.

Gord

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:57:12 -0800, "Ragdyer" wrote:

I believe that *jumps* to the last row.

To *select* to the last row:
<Ctrl <Shift <DownArrow

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

RD

I'm beginning to think some of us are getting too old for this job<g

Eyesight, comprehension, attention span..........all waning.

Gord