Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Inputting cell value from source cell based on value in adjacent cell.

Title is kind of confusing, but basically it is this....

In cells A1:A4, there is a list of names, let say sports teams. In
cells B1:B4 are their rankings, obviously 1-4. Now, in cells C1 & C2
respectively, I want the names of the two teams that finish 1 & 2. I
thought about an =IF, but seems like that formula would have to be a
mile long to include all four teams and the possibility that they would
be ranked 1st or 2nd.

So I guess it would be something like "If B1:B4 =1, then the value of
whatever cell is next adjacent to that number.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this in C1:

=INDEX($A$1:$A$4,MATCH(ROWS($1:1),$B$1:$B$4,0))

And copy down.
--

HTH,

RD