Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Override a Formula

Is there a way to freeze or override a formula in a cell when the correct
information
is in the cell. The formula I have in the cell is to find a correct date,
when the right day comes along. I down load new information everyday to this
spreedsheet. I would like the Date to freeze when the formula picks it up.

Thanks
--
J.K.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi John:

What is the right date?
How is it determined?
Who decides that the date is the correct one?

A few options:

Use an onchange event macro.
Use a button to set the value when the user confirms.
Use an if statement:

=if(today()date(2007,1,1),"after","not yet)

or

=if(today()a1,"after","not yet)

or

if (b1a1,"after","not yet)

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

"John K." wrote:

Is there a way to freeze or override a formula in a cell when the correct
information
is in the cell. The formula I have in the cell is to find a correct date,
when the right day comes along. I down load new information everyday to this
spreedsheet. I would like the Date to freeze when the formula picks it up.

Thanks
--
J.K.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Page 1
A B C E F G
symbol high close date Profit Profit Date
abc 50.55 50.34 29/12/06 $50.86
hij 61.94 61.4 29/12/06 $62.03
let 54.44 53.66 29/12/06 $54.22

This is the formula that is in column "G"
=IF(LOOKUP($A6,Page2!$A$2:page2!$A$38,page2!$B$2:p age2!$B$38)F6,LOOKUP($A6,page2!$A$1:page2!$A$40,p age2!$D$1:page2!$D$40),"")
Page2
A B C D
symbol high close date
abc 46.85 46.78 09/02/07
let 42.89 41.7 09/02/07
hij 62 60.62 09/02/07

Page 2 critera I update everyday. So when the two symbols match in column A
on page 1 and 2 and the the close price on page 2 (column "c") is greater the
the profit price on page 1 (column "f") the date on page 2 (column "d") is
enterd into column "f" on page 1. So my question is when column "f" on page
one has a date enterd into it, is there a way to override the formula so it
won't pick up a new date the next time I update the information in page 2? I
hope this helps to explain it a little better.
Thanks again
--
J.K.