Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Menu Text to columns

Can you use a formula to split delimited data when number of characters in
each cell varies (rather than using Text to columns from Data menu).

For example:
Column A
1 Smith Sue
2 Wilson Jane
3 Vincent Michael

I want to split this data delimited by a space but can't use LEFT or RIGHT
functions as number of characters varies in each cell.

Please advise.

Thank you for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Look in the help index for FIND or SEARCH and then incorporate into a
LEFT MID or RIGHT formula
Don't know why you can't use text to columnsdelimitedspace??

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"NatChat" wrote in message
Can you use a formula to split delimited data when number of characters in
each cell varies (rather than using Text to columns from Data menu).

For example:
Column A
1 Smith Sue
2 Wilson Jane
3 Vincent Michael

I want to split this data delimited by a space but can't use LEFT or RIGHT
functions as number of characters varies in each cell.

Please advise.

Thank you for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In B1 enter:
=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

In C1 enter:
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-LEN(B1)-1)

Select *both* B1 and C1, and copy down as needed.
--
HTH,

RD

"NatChat" wrote in message
Can you use a formula to split delimited data when number of characters in
each cell varies (rather than using Text to columns from Data menu).

For example:
Column A
1 Smith Sue
2 Wilson Jane
3 Vincent Michael

I want to split this data delimited by a space but can't use LEFT or RIGHT
functions as number of characters varies in each cell.

Please advise.

Thank you for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't see why you say you can't use LEFT or RIGHT.

What's wrong with
=LEFT(A7,FIND(" ",A7)-1) and
=RIGHT(A7,LEN(A7)-FIND(" ",A7)) ?
--
David Biddulph

"NatChat" wrote in message
Can you use a formula to split delimited data when number of characters in
each cell varies (rather than using Text to columns from Data menu).

For example:
Column A
1 Smith Sue
2 Wilson Jane
3 Vincent Michael

I want to split this data delimited by a space but can't use LEFT or RIGHT
functions as number of characters varies in each cell.

Please advise.

Thank you for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For the left name =LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1)
For the right name =MID(A2,FIND(" ",A2)+1,10)

Does have some limitations, if there is a middle initial things will go
nuts, but for the vanilla examples you offered this should work. If the
right name is longer than 10 characters you will need to change the 10 to
whatever.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"NatChat" wrote in message
Can you use a formula to split delimited data when number of characters in
each cell varies (rather than using Text to columns from Data menu).

For example:
Column A
1 Smith Sue
2 Wilson Jane
3 Vincent Michael

I want to split this data delimited by a space but can't use LEFT or RIGHT
functions as number of characters varies in each cell.

Please advise.

Thank you for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"NatChat" wrote in message
Can you use a formula to split delimited data when number of characters in
each cell varies (rather than using Text to columns from Data menu).

For example:
Column A
1 Smith Sue
2 Wilson Jane
3 Vincent Michael

I want to split this data delimited by a space but can't use LEFT or RIGHT
functions as number of characters varies in each cell.

Please advise.

Thank you for your help!

Thanks so much for your quick response!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"NatChat" wrote in message
Can you use a formula to split delimited data when number of characters in
each cell varies (rather than using Text to columns from Data menu).

For example:
Column A
1 Smith Sue
2 Wilson Jane
3 Vincent Michael

I want to split this data delimited by a space but can't use LEFT or RIGHT
functions as number of characters varies in each cell.

Please advise.

Thank you for your help!

Thanks so much for your quick response. The formulae you gave me work perfectly! I didn't know about the "FIND" function before. Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"NatChat" wrote in message
Can you use a formula to split delimited data when number of characters in
each cell varies (rather than using Text to columns from Data menu).

For example:
Column A
1 Smith Sue
2 Wilson Jane
3 Vincent Michael

I want to split this data delimited by a space but can't use LEFT or RIGHT
functions as number of characters varies in each cell.

Please advise.

Thank you for your help!

Thanks for your qick response!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"NatChat" wrote in message
Can you use a formula to split delimited data when number of characters in
each cell varies (rather than using Text to columns from Data menu).

For example:
Column A
1 Smith Sue
2 Wilson Jane
3 Vincent Michael

I want to split this data delimited by a space but can't use LEFT or RIGHT
functions as number of characters varies in each cell.

Please advise.

Thank you for your help!

Thanks for your quick response and the extra info!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Appreciate the feed-back.

RD

"NatChat" wrote in message

"Ragdyer" wrote:

In B1 enter:
=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

In C1 enter:
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-LEN(B1)-1)

Select *both* B1 and C1, and copy down as needed.
--
HTH,

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-