Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can autofill do this?

I am trying to track job postings that last for 30 day increments. The
postings can be created on any day of the month. I have the dates of the
month as columns, and the postings as rows, and want to set up a sheet for
each month. I want to track which day each post started and count each day
the post has run going forward until it hits 30 day expiration. If the job
was posted on the 5th, the cell for that row under it would read 1, the cell
under the 6th would read 2, etc. until it hits 30.

A colleague thought it was possible for me to go into the cell under the
date each job is posted and enter "1" in the cell and autofill would then
populate the next 29 cells in the row for me. He even thought it could carry
over to the next sheet. So if I recorded a job as being posted on the 25th,
the cells would finish out the month on that sheet and keep going on the
sheet until it hits the 30 count. He has no idea how to do this, of course.

Anyone here know if he is right or if something like this is even possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Clueless,

The Fill Handle will give you incrementing numbers. Hold Ctrl as you drag it down. It
won't go to the next sheet. Consider keeping all the stuff in one sheet, as continuous
days, month, even years. Life will be much simpler. You can color-code weeks months, etc.
if that will help, or use borders. An Autofilter can reduce it to any particular month, if
you've put in a month column, and it'll look pretty much like the individual months sheets
anyway. Check out "Data across multiple sheets" at
http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/excel_truths.htm
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com