Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RCB RCB is offline

Default hyperlink

Help - My hyperlinks no longer work. I have a large excel file (4 Mg) with
many hyperlinks to images that worked (opend the image). Now they don't - and
say "cannot open file". I tried to insert a new link in the old file and it
does not work. when I create a new excel file - it works.
I am on a LAN - have mapped drive - and the images are in a subdirectory
"images" right below the excel file

I'm a type A - and it is really buging me!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 8 Feb, 14:10, RCB wrote:
Help - My hyperlinks no longer work. I have a large excel file (4 Mg) with
many hyperlinks to images that worked (opend the image). Now they don't - and
say "cannot open file". I tried to insert a new link in the old file and it
does not work. when I create a new excel file - it works.
I am on a LAN - have mapped drive - and the images are in a subdirectory
"images" right below the excel file

I'm a type A - and it is really buging me!!!

Hello.

Have you moved the spreadsheet and/or image folder recently?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RCB RCB is offline

I think my helpless desk changed out network drives about 2 days ago - and
this is about when my trouble started - but I can find no diference in it's
network name

"RCB" wrote:

Help - My hyperlinks no longer work. I have a large excel file (4 Mg) with
many hyperlinks to images that worked (opend the image). Now they don't - and
say "cannot open file". I tried to insert a new link in the old file and it
does not work. when I create a new excel file - it works.
I am on a LAN - have mapped drive - and the images are in a subdirectory
"images" right below the excel file

I'm a type A - and it is really buging me!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RCB RCB is offline

Dave and pa_broon74

thanks much

it seems that while the LAN address has not changed - it has something to do
with the "hyperlink base:" address on the "File / Properties"

I think I can get it to work - if I knew how to set it to the directory the
excel file is in - like:

file:///\\FL-FS4\DS$\Defense\Services\FMS Forms\LBO

all I really need is to set it to the the directory the main excel file - as
the images file are in a subdirectory under it - and it seems that

is there a guide to understand these "///" or "\\"??

and to answer the question - NO the link is not pointing to the correct
directory anymore

THANKS,

bob

"RCB" wrote:

Help - My hyperlinks no longer work. I have a large excel file (4 Mg) with
many hyperlinks to images that worked (opend the image). Now they don't - and
say "cannot open file". I tried to insert a new link in the old file and it
does not work. when I create a new excel file - it works.
I am on a LAN - have mapped drive - and the images are in a subdirectory
"images" right below the excel file

I'm a type A - and it is really buging me!!!

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, I've found the links to be very forgiving when using \ or / -- so much so
that I don't think it matters. (But I generally use the slash.)

Second, you should be able to change the location in that insert|hyperlink
dialog.

If you have lots to do...

Take a look at David McRitchie's site:
look for:
Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks)

=======
Personally, I have much better luck when I use the worksheet function:
=hyperlink().

I can put the folder name in a cell (hidden???) and refer to it in my formula:

=hyperlink("file:////" & $a$1 & B1, "Click me")
if B1 contains the name of the file.

Then when the folder gets moved/renamed, I can just change one cell--$a$1.

"RCB" wrote:

Help - My hyperlinks no longer work. I have a large excel file (4 Mg) with
many hyperlinks to images that worked (opend the image). Now they don't - and
say "cannot open file". I tried to insert a new link in the old file and it
does not work. when I create a new excel file - it works.
I am on a LAN - have mapped drive - and the images are in a subdirectory
"images" right below the excel file

I'm a type A - and it is really buging me!!!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RCB RCB is offline

Dave and pa_broon74

Thanks so much

this should do it - I am on the right track now

The help file on hyperlinks seems to useless and and my google experience on
the world wide waste was also time ill spent

even if i have to redo the links - at least I can get new ones to work -
they were not working before

Ill check out the ref - maybe I can automate the fix
it's great to know

I'm on my way to getting it Done - so thanks again
bob