Colin Foster

Default Problems with Autocomplete

Hi Group,
Currently I have an issue with Autocomplete not working in a spreadsheet. in
a new record
The spreadsheet contains a filtered list (with no filters applied). In the
first column of this list are vehicle manufacturers (e.g. Ford, BMW, Nissan,
etc).
Sometimes the autocomplete works when I add in a new record, but most of the
time, it doesn't.
I've checked the obvious issue of blank rows & there aren't any. I've also
checked for any hidden rows.
The total number of unique vehicle manufacturers is 35, so I can't see that
being an issue.
Interestingly, Pick from List does work.
Also interestingly (or should this be frustratingly!) I have the
manufacturer "Alfa Romeo". This only autocompletes when I've hit the
spacebar before the letter R. The implication of this, is that I have a
manufacturer called "Alfa" - oh if it was only that simple!! Needless to
say, I don't.
This is beginning to really frustrate me, so any pointers would be of
interest - if you want a copy of the spreadsheet to play with, let me know.
Regards
Colin Foster

Debra Dalgleish

Perhaps one of the "Alfa Romeo" entries contains two space characters.
That could cause the problem that you described.

Instead of typing the entries, you could use a data validation list.
There are instructions in Excel's help, and he

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Colin Foster

Hi Debra,
Unfortunately, I'd thought of that one, so I even tried copying the first
instance of "Alfa Romeo" to all other instances. Excel still waits for me to
hit the spacebar!
Regards
Colin

Colin Foster wrote:
[...]

Dave Peterson

Just some silly questions.

Are you positive that you don't have alfa in a cell? Do you have any hidden
rows in that range?

I think I'd try unhiding all the rows, removing any active filter (I know you
said that there weren't any already).

Then I'd apply a filter to that column:
Begins with Alfa:
Alfa

Or look at the dropdown list just to see what shows up.

(I couldn't reproduce your situation in xl2003.)