Marcia

Default How Do You Permanently Format Fields of a Pivot Table?

Hello, everyone.

I need to format certain fields on my pivot table, but they default
back to their original formatting every time I recalculate.

How do I permanently format a field?

Thanks!!

Jessi
Debra Dalgleish

Set the pivot table to preserve formatting:
On the pivot toolbar, choose PivotTableTable Options
Add a check mark to 'Preserve formatting', click OK
Remove the check mark from AutoFormat Table
Click OK

You may have to enable selection (From the Pivot toolbar, choose
PivotTableSelect, and click on Enable Selection)

Before formatting cells, use the selection feature to select the
cells. For example, move the pointer to the top of a column in the pivot
table (just above the column's heading cell). When the black arrow
appears (like the one that appears when the pointer is over a column
button), click to select the column in the pivot table. Then apply the
formatting.

If the above suggestions don't work, you could record a macro as you
refresh and reformat the pivot table. Then, run that when you want
to update.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List