Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Charting or constructing a graph, from a row with list validation

I am attempting to construct a chart from survey data I have entered
into Excel 2003. Basically, each question equates into a row. The
first column contains the text of the question, and each of the
following columns contain the specific response from each instance of
the data (survey taker).

The answers are available from a drop-down validation list, like this:

Agree
Maybe
Disagree

Yet, when I use the charting function and highlight the entire row
including the actual question, I have no idea how to make that chart
graph along the dimensions already outlined by the validation list
like I would expect it to, like this:

Agree --------------------- 15
Maybe --------- 8
Disagree------------------------- 23

Instead I get a bunch of gibberish, and the chart seems to want to
graph along a 0-1 dimension, with no way I can see to reference the
validation list. Help !!!!!

Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Describe what the data looks like.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I thought I did, but here it goes again -

Agree
Maybe
Disagree

These three choices are all that is available from a drop-down
validation list. If you attempt to enter anything other than those
three items into one of the corresponding cells, Excel will not allow
it. So those three items are the only possibilities available.

Agree

On Feb 4, 3:30 pm, "Jon Peltier"
wrote:
Describe what the data looks like.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
_______

wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Can anyone help?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I thought I asked, but here it is again.

How is your data structured? The chart doesn't care about your data
validation, nor do I. How is the data arranged in the worksheet? How do you
want it displayed in the chart?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP