Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MKG MKG is offline

Default Multiple Instances of EXCEL.EXE

Excel 2003 (11.8117.8107) sp2 on XP desktop

Out of the blue, a user is reporting that with every Excel file opened, a
new instance of Excel.exe is started. Closing the file doesn't end the
instance - she must Exit.

I can't find any info on this - what setting might have changed to cause
this to occur? Or might something outside of Excel be causing this problem?

It only happens in Excel - not in Word or other Office products.

It doesn't matter if the user opens the files from our DMS (Mailsite 8.0) or
from within Excel.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi MKG,

Take a look here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328233/en-us

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

MKG

Closing a workbook has never closed any instance of Excel unless there is VBA
code to close Excel when the workbook closes.

You have always had to "Exit" to get rid of Excel even after closing all
workbooks.

What user is probably seeing is multiple files in the Taskbar.

If "Exit" closes Excel does user still have any instance of Excel running?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:49:00 -0800, MKG wrote:

Excel 2003 (11.8117.8107) sp2 on XP desktop

Out of the blue, a user is reporting that with every Excel file opened, a
new instance of Excel.exe is started. Closing the file doesn't end the
instance - she must Exit.

I can't find any info on this - what setting might have changed to cause
this to occur? Or might something outside of Excel be causing this problem?

It only happens in Excel - not in Word or other Office products.

It doesn't matter if the user opens the files from our DMS (Mailsite 8.0) or
from within Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Take a look at Tools - Options - General - Ignore Other Applications.
Uncheck it if it is checked...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson