Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Number format icons

How can I fix the number format icons in the menu bar to produce the desired
results? When I select some cells and click the "$" format button I don't
get currency format. The button actually removes any previously added font
attributes (color, bold, size, etc.) and leaves the worksheet default font -
but no dollar sign and no commas. The "%" and "," format buttons do the same
thing.

I first experienced this problem about 2 months ago with Excel 2003. I have
since loaded Office 2007 (trial version, upgrade on order) and the problem is
still there!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't know the answer for sure, but sounds like someone's mapped another
format to those toolbar buttons. (I think you mean toolbar buttons, not
"number format icons"....)
Start by right-clicking on the toolbar, selecting "Customize". Then, while
the "Customize" window is open, go back to the toolbar button that's causing
a problem, right-click on it, and choose "Reset".
HTH

"KipB" wrote:

How can I fix the number format icons in the menu bar to produce the desired
results? When I select some cells and click the "$" format button I don't
get currency format. The button actually removes any previously added font
attributes (color, bold, size, etc.) and leaves the worksheet default font -
but no dollar sign and no commas. The "%" and "," format buttons do the same
thing.

I first experienced this problem about 2 months ago with Excel 2003. I have
since loaded Office 2007 (trial version, upgrade on order) and the problem is
still there!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

It sound like your data is actually text, no mattter what it is formated as,
Try putting 1 in a cell
copying that cell
selecting one of the cells which did not format and paste special multiply
Check what happens