Bobak

Default Linking customer number format to a cell

Is it possible to link a custom number format to a cell within a workbook?

Currently I have the number format
#,##0.0"m (forecast)";(#,##0.0)"m (forecast)";-"m (forecast)"
used extensively throughout a workbook

I want to change the text after each number to "m (actual)". I will be
changing the text on a monthly basis. Currently I have to manually change the
format each month.
Juan Pablo González

Not that I know, but if you use styles, as in Word, you could do this in one
step as opposed to changing every single cell.

Juan Pablo González
Excel MVP

"Bobak" wrote in message
Is it possible to link a custom number format to a cell within a workbook?

Currently I have the number format
#,##0.0"m (forecast)";(#,##0.0)"m (forecast)";-"m (forecast)"
used extensively throughout a workbook

I want to change the text after each number to "m (actual)". I will be
changing the text on a monthly basis. Currently I have to manually change
the
format each month.

Dave Peterson

I think you could tie it to another cell, but then you'd have to be able to
specify the cells that are affected. And that could be more of a pain.

How about this?

Format|Style
type: Forecast
in the Style name box
click the modify button and put in the forecast numberformat.

Do the same for Actual.

Then you can just select your cells and apply the style you want.

In fact, you can add an icon to your favorite toolbar to make it even simpler.

Tools|Customize|commands tab|format category
look for Style: (with a dropdown box)
drag it to your favorite toolbar.

Now you can just select the cells and use that dropdown to change styles.

===
Ps. Styles travel with workbooks--so if you want to use this idea in multiple
workbooks, you can either base new workbooks on this workbook or add the styles
yourself.

--

Dave Peterson