Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Text always switching to date format

I am trying to store a date as yyyy-mm-dd. I however need this data to be
stored as text or 'general' and NOT convert to a date. I am importing this
data to another system and need the actual data to go in as yyyy-mm-dd and
when Excel converts this to a date it changes the underlying data and always
crashes my import.

Does anybody know how I can achieve this? I also tried to put a ' in front,
however that then gets stored in the data field and does not work either.

Thanks for the help.
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

FOrmat your cells as Text prior to entering data into them.
--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200703

"Brian Haberman" wrote:

I am trying to store a date as yyyy-mm-dd. I however need this data to be
stored as text or 'general' and NOT convert to a date. I am importing this
data to another system and need the actual data to go in as yyyy-mm-dd and
when Excel converts this to a date it changes the underlying data and always
crashes my import.

Does anybody know how I can achieve this? I also tried to put a ' in front,
however that then gets stored in the data field and does not work either.

Thanks for the help.
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That did it. Wow, I know I had tried that a number of times and Excel was
changing it back on me.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

"Brian Haberman" wrote:

I am trying to store a date as yyyy-mm-dd. I however need this data to be
stored as text or 'general' and NOT convert to a date. I am importing this
data to another system and need the actual data to go in as yyyy-mm-dd and
when Excel converts this to a date it changes the underlying data and always
crashes my import.

Does anybody know how I can achieve this? I also tried to put a ' in front,
however that then gets stored in the data field and does not work either.

Thanks for the help.
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this method.

In a cell enter =TEXT(cellref,"yyyy-mm-dd")

Copy that and EditPaste Special(in place)ValuesOKEsc.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 08:35:03 -0800, Brian Haberman
wrote:

I am trying to store a date as yyyy-mm-dd. I however need this data to be
stored as text or 'general' and NOT convert to a date. I am importing this
data to another system and need the actual data to go in as yyyy-mm-dd and
when Excel converts this to a date it changes the underlying data and always
crashes my import.

Does anybody know how I can achieve this? I also tried to put a ' in front,
however that then gets stored in the data field and does not work either.

Thanks for the help.
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just type in an ' (apostrophe) prior to typing in the date. This saves you
having to format the cell first
--
John
MOS Master Instructor

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

"Brian Haberman" wrote:

I am trying to store a date as yyyy-mm-dd. I however need this data to be
stored as text or 'general' and NOT convert to a date. I am importing this
data to another system and need the actual data to go in as yyyy-mm-dd and
when Excel converts this to a date it changes the underlying data and always
crashes my import.

Does anybody know how I can achieve this? I also tried to put a ' in front,
however that then gets stored in the data field and does not work either.

Thanks for the help.
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

John,

As I had mentioned however, when I import this data into another system, I
cannot have that leading apostrophe in the field. I need just the raw data
formated as yyyy-mm-dd.

Thanks however for the tip.

Brian

"Brian Haberman" wrote:

I am trying to store a date as yyyy-mm-dd. I however need this data to be
stored as text or 'general' and NOT convert to a date. I am importing this
data to another system and need the actual data to go in as yyyy-mm-dd and
when Excel converts this to a date it changes the underlying data and always
crashes my import.

Does anybody know how I can achieve this? I also tried to put a ' in front,
however that then gets stored in the data field and does not work either.

Thanks for the help.
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Brian

Did you look at my post in this thread?

No leading apostrophe needed.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Brian Haberman" wrote:

I am trying to store a date as yyyy-mm-dd. I however need this data to be
stored as text or 'general' and NOT convert to a date. I am importing this
data to another system and need the actual data to go in as yyyy-mm-dd and
when Excel converts this to a date it changes the underlying data and always
crashes my import.

Does anybody know how I can achieve this? I also tried to put a ' in front,
however that then gets stored in the data field and does not work either.

Thanks for the help.
Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord,

Sorry it has taken so ling, but I did look at your post and that worked
great as well. That is exactly what I need!

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,
Brian