Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default SUMPRODUCT not working

I have several sheets in my workbook that we use to count different product
movements. First formula is in A5 the second is in A6
=SUMPRODUCT(('JAN 07'!$B$5:$B$245="ASPHALT")*(JAN 07'!$F$5:$F$245="L"))
=SUMPRODUCT(('JAN 07'!$B$5:$B$245="ASPHALT")*(JAN 07'!$F$5:$F$245="P"))

This worked fine for us in past years now management wants to just count
ASPHALT total handlings without being specfic and I just can not seem to get
it to work. I tried to just get rid of *(JAN 07'!$F$5:$F$245="L")) this part
and all I get is 0 in the cell what am I doing wrong. As well now they are
wanting to group the different products (37 of them) into just 5 grouping and
just count the number of times the groupings were handled because they do not
need individual handling but we have to track them so our sheets are set up
to do that. I've inserted another sheet just for them but I'm having trouble
with getting the grouping down correctly. If I could get the different
products to sum individually on my inserted sheet I can sum them into their
different grouping. I have probably confused you all but I need just a
little help to get me headed in the right direction.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You can do it with the sumproduct, just add 2 dashes in front like this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('JAN 07'!$B$5:$B$245="ASPHALT"))

as for the second part, not sure if this will help but if you had say
"asphalt" and "shingles" in one group then you could use something like this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('JAN 07'!$B$5:$B$245={"ASPHALT","SHINGLES"}))

HTH
Jean-Guy