Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel formula question - sending results to another cell

I'm trying to create a formula in one cell (let's say C3), and I want
the results of that cell to show up in B3. Is there a way to have the
results of the formula in C3 show up in B3 without having to put "=C3"
in my B3 Cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Formulas can only "pull" data not "push" it.

You would need VBA code to populate B3 without a formula.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 29 Jan 2007 10:42:15 -0800, wrote:

I'm trying to create a formula in one cell (let's say C3), and I want
the results of that cell to show up in B3. Is there a way to have the
results of the formula in C3 show up in B3 without having to put "=C3"
in my B3 Cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I suppose you could create a macro, but generally speaking if you want the
value in one cell to be dependent upon the value in another, the way to do it
is entering the second cell reference in the first cell; i.e., =C3 in B3.
Why would you want to make it harder?

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

" wrote:

I'm trying to create a formula in one cell (let's say C3), and I want
the results of that cell to show up in B3. Is there a way to have the
results of the formula in C3 show up in B3 without having to put "=C3"
in my B3 Cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can only pull data. You can't push data. (Remember PEEK & POKE
anyone?)

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

" wrote:

I'm trying to create a formula in one cell (let's say C3), and I want
the results of that cell to show up in B3. Is there a way to have the
results of the formula in C3 show up in B3 without having to put "=C3"
in my B3 Cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for all your help!

The purpose behind the question is that I'm creating a document that
others will be working on and I figured there would be less chance of
some formulas being deleted if I could hide the formulas and push the
data to other cells.

- Jeremy

" wrote:
I'm trying to create a formula in one cell (let's say C3), and I want
the results of that cell to show up in B3. Is there a way to have the
results of the formula in C3 show up in B3 without having to put "=C3"
in my B3 Cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's what sheet protection is for. Set the cells in which your users will
enter data to unlocked then protect the sheet. Use a password if necessary
then the formulae will be relatively safe.