Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how to copy contents of a cell and remove any brackets ( AND ) ?

Hi,

Does anyone out there know how to copy the contents of a cell to
another and remove any brackets that may be present, keeping the
bracketed word in the copied cell?

cheers,

Jon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jon,

=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,")",""),"(","")

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"jonny" wrote in message ups.com...
| Hi,
|
| Does anyone out there know how to copy the contents of a cell to
| another and remove any brackets that may be present, keeping the
| bracketed word in the copied cell?
|
| cheers,
|
| Jon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not sure how you're copying the contents. If you've got a formula set up to
get the value like
=A1
where A1 has the text with brackets, then change to this
=IF(ISERR(MID(A1,FIND("[",A1)+1,FIND("]",A1)-FIND("[",A1)-1)),A1,MID(A1,FIND("[",A1)+1,FIND("]",A1)-FIND("[",A1)-1))

If you are just using copy and paste
then choose the cell(s) where you pasted the entry and use Edit | Replace to
Find [
Replace with (leave completely empty)
repeat for
Find ]
again, leave the 'replace with' portion completely empty.

"jonny" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone out there know how to copy the contents of a cell to
another and remove any brackets that may be present, keeping the
bracketed word in the copied cell?

cheers,

Jon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Niek

Spot on that.. Do you know how to use this to remove "quotes" - it
just throws up an error when I replace the bracket ( with "

cheers,

Jon

On 28 Jan, 17:55, "Niek Otten" wrote:
Hi Jon,

=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,")",""),"(","")

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"jonny" wrote in oglegroups.com...| Hi,

| Does anyone out there know how to copy the contents of a cell to
| another and remove any brackets that may be present, keeping the
| bracketed word in the copied cell?
|
| cheers,
|
| Jon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jon,

Excel HELP tells you to use two quotes within quotes to mean one quote
Excel's Help is often criticized, but really most of the basics are there

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"jonny" wrote in message oups.com...
| Thanks Niek
|
| Spot on that.. Do you know how to use this to remove "quotes" - it
| just throws up an error when I replace the bracket ( with "
|
| cheers,
|
| Jon
|

| On 28 Jan, 17:55, "Niek Otten" wrote:
| Hi Jon,
|
| =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,")",""),"(","")
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "jonny" wrote in oglegroups.com...| Hi,
| |
| | Does anyone out there know how to copy the contents of a cell to
| | another and remove any brackets that may be present, keeping the
| | bracketed word in the copied cell?
| |
| | cheers,
| |