Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Getting a total for matching text

Is it possible to get a total number of cells that contain the exact same
text. For example I would like the spreadsheet to tell me how many cells
contain the Shingle Color of Nickel Grey without going through the complete
row and counting them manually.

Being able to filter the row hoizontally would also make things a bit easier
but have not been able to figure that out yet either. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want the count of cells that contain only the text "Nickel Gray"
try something like this:

This formula counts the "Nickel Gray" cells in Row_2
=COUNTIF(2:2,"Nickel Gray")

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Daryn" wrote:

Is it possible to get a total number of cells that contain the exact same
text. For example I would like the spreadsheet to tell me how many cells
contain the Shingle Color of Nickel Grey without going through the complete
row and counting them manually.

Being able to filter the row hoizontally would also make things a bit easier
but have not been able to figure that out yet either. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ron your formula helped me allot, thank you.

I am using this =COUNTIF(2:2,"Nickel Gray")
formula with numbers like =COUNTIF(a2:a250, 1), =COUNTIF(a2:a250, 2) and so
on in growing order, is there any way to make this process automatic, like
when you write 1 and 2 in two cells and select those two and drag down excel
automaticly write 3,4,5 in coming up cells. do you think it is possible.

Thank allot.
Judoguy.

"Daryn" wrote:

Is it possible to get a total number of cells that contain the exact same
text. For example I would like the spreadsheet to tell me how many cells
contain the Shingle Color of Nickel Grey without going through the complete
row and counting them manually.

Being able to filter the row hoizontally would also make things a bit easier
but have not been able to figure that out yet either. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try something like this:

With
A2:A250 containing values to be matched

This formula returns the count of cells in that range that evaluate to 1
B3: =COUNTIF($A$2:$A$250, ROWS($A$3:A3))

Copy that formula down Col_B as far as you need to get the count of 2,3,
....etc.

Does that help?
Regards,
Ron