Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2002 opens, the file doesn't

After an extended power outage, I now find that when I click on an excel file
to open it, only excel opens, not the file. I have tried "Detect & Repair"
to no avail. Granted, I can go to "open" and search for the files, but that
is so cumbersome. Word operates properly, as does Outlook. I am at a loss.
Can anyone help?

Katee
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Katee

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 18:26:01 -0800, Katee
wrote:

After an extended power outage, I now find that when I click on an excel file
to open it, only excel opens, not the file. I have tried "Detect & Repair"
to no avail. Granted, I can go to "open" and search for the files, but that
is so cumbersome. Word operates properly, as does Outlook. I am at a loss.
Can anyone help?

Katee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord,

Bless you! When I figure out how to rate a post ... I will rate your answer
a 10! Not only did I have this problem, but my boss has had it for a very
long time unbeknownst to me.

Katee

wrote:

After an extended power outage, I now find that when I click on an excel file
to open it, only excel opens, not the file. I have tried "Detect & Repair"
to no avail. Granted, I can go to "open" and search for the files, but that
is so cumbersome. Word operates properly, as does Outlook. I am at a loss.
Can anyone help?

Katee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Katee.