Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Query

Hi. I am trying to create an Excel query that will use Oracle as a source.
What I would like is column A to be store number, and each column after that
a certain date. Each row would follow this pattern. B2 = B1(Store number)
+ A2 (order date) result. (Results are based off store number and order
date). I would like to use store# and date as parameters for the query.

Rows would be Store numbers, columns would be order dates. Say for example
500 stores and 10 order date columns.

Is there a way to set this up? I know I can get a cell individualy with
data query, but I can't seem to get an area to fill with a query based on the
parameters I want.

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Have you done any Queries before, so that you know that the rights exist for
you to get into the Database? If not, estabslish that link first with a
simple Query. Then, my use of Query has always been only to retrieve data
from a source. Once the data is in Excel, then the manipulation of the data
can be done by macro. Of course, the macro can also contain the Query so
it's all one continuous action.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Warren" wrote:

Hi. I am trying to create an Excel query that will use Oracle as a source.
What I would like is column A to be store number, and each column after that
a certain date. Each row would follow this pattern. B2 = B1(Store number)
+ A2 (order date) result. (Results are based off store number and order
date). I would like to use store# and date as parameters for the query.

Rows would be Store numbers, columns would be order dates. Say for example
500 stores and 10 order date columns.

Is there a way to set this up? I know I can get a cell individualy with
data query, but I can't seem to get an area to fill with a query based on the
parameters I want.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I can get the information I need, so I know that part is ok. But I just
didn't want to build a query 1 cell at a time, instead of at least 1 row at a
time, or even better an area.

"Warren" wrote:

Hi. I am trying to create an Excel query that will use Oracle as a source.
What I would like is column A to be store number, and each column after that
a certain date. Each row would follow this pattern. B2 = B1(Store number)
+ A2 (order date) result. (Results are based off store number and order
date). I would like to use store# and date as parameters for the query.

Rows would be Store numbers, columns would be order dates. Say for example
500 stores and 10 order date columns.

Is there a way to set this up? I know I can get a cell individualy with
data query, but I can't seem to get an area to fill with a query based on the
parameters I want.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As powerful as Oracle is....it doesn't yield up a crosstab report easily.

Your best bet is probably to extract the data into a regular Excel list then
create a pivot table.

BUT....if you REALLY want to have SQL pull a crosstab for you...
see this link:
http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_crosstab_sql.htm

Does that help?
Regards,