Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default To filter for 100 documents out of 1000

Hi,
I have a long list of entries (about 1000) and out of these, I need to
filter out 100 selected documents. Right now i'm using advanced filter. But
in order to do this, I have to manually place all these documents diagonally
so as to do it as a OR condition, ie,

Document Document Document
11111111
22222222
33333333

It's very time consuming coz i have to manually pull down those document
numbers into different rows. Is there a faster way to do this?

Regards,
Val
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Val

Since you are dealing with a single field, Document, then the list
required can all be entered one below each other in a single column.
This gives an OR function
Document
11111
22222
33333

Putting items adjacent gives an AND function
Document Document
11111 22222
which would be impossible for this field, because it cannot be both
11111 AND 22222 at the same time
but
Document Document
11111
22222
does give the equivalent of an OR because other entries on the same row
are blank

Document Document
=11111 <=22222

would give all documents in the range between the 2 values.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Dolphinv4" wrote in message
I have a long list of entries (about 1000) and out of these, I need to
filter out 100 selected documents. Right now i'm using advanced
filter. But
in order to do this, I have to manually place all these documents
diagonally
so as to do it as a OR condition, ie,

Document Document Document
11111111
22222222
33333333

It's very time consuming coz i have to manually pull down those
document
numbers into different rows. Is there a faster way to do this?

Regards,
Val

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

One play to quickly & dynamically dredge it out on another sheet ..

Assuming source table in Sheet1, cols A to C (say),
data from row2 down, where the key col is col A = doc #

In Sheet2,

Simply enter / paste the entire list of 100 selected doc #s into A1 down

Put in B2:
=IF(Sheet1!A2="","",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(Sheet1!A2,A: A,0)),ROW(),""))
(Leave B1 blank)

Paste the same col headers into C1:E1

Put in C2:
=IF(ROW(A1)COUNT($B:$B),"",INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,SMALL ($B:$B,ROW(A1))))
Copy C2 to E2. Select B2:E2, fill down to cover the max expected extent of
data in Sheet1, eg down to E1100. Hide away col B. Cols C to E will return
the required lines from Sheet1, all neatly bunched at the top.
--
Max
Singapore