Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linked Cell Displays 0

Now this should be easy. I have a workbook with 2 worksheets. Lets say when
A1 is filled in on worksheet 1 I want the same information to display in A1
on worksheet 2. I used a the formula on worksheet 2 in cell A1:
=worksheet1!A1

why does that cell in worksheet 2 display a 0 when there is not yet
information in the cell it's copying from in worksheet 1? How do I get it to
just be blank until information is put into that A1 on worksheet1?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=if(worksheet1!A1="","",worksheet1!A1)

or go to tools otions view and clear the "zero values"
but that would then be general for all books
--
Greetings from New Zealand

"Lambros" wrote in message
Now this should be easy. I have a workbook with 2 worksheets. Lets say
when
A1 is filled in on worksheet 1 I want the same information to display in
A1
on worksheet 2. I used a the formula on worksheet 2 in cell A1:
=worksheet1!A1

why does that cell in worksheet 2 display a 0 when there is not yet
information in the cell it's copying from in worksheet 1? How do I get it
just be blank until information is put into that A1 on worksheet1?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you use the formula =Sheet1!A1 in another worksheet it will return
whatever is in Sheet1!A1. However if there is nothing in that cell, it will
display zero, that's the way it works.
There are two ways that I know of to overcome this, one is to go 'Tools'
'Options' 'View' and uncheck 'Zero Values' which will hide all zero
values.
The other is to use the formula
=IF(Sheet1!A1<0,Sheet1!A1,"")
This can bring its own problems as "" is a text value. If you want to
perform certain calculations with these results they may not work correctly,
Regards,
Alan.

"Lambros" wrote in message
Now this should be easy. I have a workbook with 2 worksheets. Lets say
when
A1 is filled in on worksheet 1 I want the same information to display in
A1
on worksheet 2. I used a the formula on worksheet 2 in cell A1:
=worksheet1!A1

why does that cell in worksheet 2 display a 0 when there is not yet
information in the cell it's copying from in worksheet 1? How do I get it
just be blank until information is put into that A1 on worksheet1?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Alan, a third way is to apply conditional formatting to the cell such
that if the cell contents are zero then make the foreground colour the
same as the background colour (usually white). That way a zero is
returned with the formula =Sheet1!A1, but the cell appears empty.

Pete

"Lambros" wrote in message
Now this should be easy. I have a workbook with 2 worksheets. Lets say
when
A1 is filled in on worksheet 1 I want the same information to display in
A1
on worksheet 2. I used a the formula on worksheet 2 in cell A1:
=worksheet1!A1

why does that cell in worksheet 2 display a 0 when there is not yet
information in the cell it's copying from in worksheet 1? How do I get it
just be blank until information is put into that A1 on worksheet1?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

However if there is nothing in that cell, it will
display zero, that's the way it works.

Just my guess as to why (if the OP cares for an opinion) the only viable
options are to display 0 or the empty string (the formula has to evaluate to
something). They probably chose 0 so that you can easily see there is a
formula in that cell.

This can bring its own problems as "" is a text value. If you want to
perform certain calculations with these results they may not work correctly,

He could use a custom number format if this is a potential issue

0;-0;""

"Lambros" wrote in message
Now this should be easy. I have a workbook with 2 worksheets. Lets say
when
A1 is filled in on worksheet 1 I want the same information to display in
A1
on worksheet 2. I used a the formula on worksheet 2 in cell A1:
=worksheet1!A1

why does that cell in worksheet 2 display a 0 when there is not yet
information in the cell it's copying from in worksheet 1? How do I get it
just be blank until information is put into that A1 on worksheet1?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Pete,
That is indeed another way to do it. I tend to avoid that way due to walnuts
and sledgehammers if you know what I mean!
Regards,
Alan
ps.com...