Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default VLOOKUP

I have a VLOOkUp function that I'm trying to use. I would like to enter a
name and in the other column the number be populated for their region.
However, that way does not work. When I type in the name, a number doesn't
come into the other cell. But if I try it the other way, type in the number
the name does appear. I can't figure out what is wrong. My formula appears
to be correct since I can change it and it will add the name.

Any ideas on what I can try?

This is my function...
=VLOOKUP(C16,$N$2:$O$120,1)
Column N contains the numbers and column O contains the names. Obviously
c16 is where I am attempting to type the name.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Vlookup uses the values in the left hand column of an array and returns the
correspond value in the right hand column. Try Lookup

=LOOKUP(C16,O2:O120,N2:N120)

"TJAC" wrote:

I have a VLOOkUp function that I'm trying to use. I would like to enter a
name and in the other column the number be populated for their region.
However, that way does not work. When I type in the name, a number doesn't
come into the other cell. But if I try it the other way, type in the number
the name does appear. I can't figure out what is wrong. My formula appears
to be correct since I can change it and it will add the name.

Any ideas on what I can try?

This is my function...
=VLOOKUP(C16,$N$2:$O$120,1)
Column N contains the numbers and column O contains the names. Obviously
c16 is where I am attempting to type the name.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I copied the one below, but that returns another name not related to the one
that is entered. I also tried to move the columns so that the Vlookup values
were in the left column and the return numbers that correspond to the name
were in the right, however, that isn't working either.

Below is an example of what the names and corresponding numbers look like.

Larry 100
John 127
Bernie 175

When I type the name, I have not been able to get the correct number to come
up.

"TJAC" wrote:

I have a VLOOkUp function that I'm trying to use. I would like to enter a
name and in the other column the number be populated for their region.
However, that way does not work. When I type in the name, a number doesn't
come into the other cell. But if I try it the other way, type in the number
the name does appear. I can't figure out what is wrong. My formula appears
to be correct since I can change it and it will add the name.

Any ideas on what I can try?

This is my function...
=VLOOKUP(C16,$N$2:$O$120,1)
Column N contains the numbers and column O contains the names. Obviously
c16 is where I am attempting to type the name.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tjac,

In your previous post I thought you said the columns were the other way
around. With the names in Col N and numbers in Col O and the input cell as
C16 try

=VLOOKUP(C16,N1:O3,2,FALSE)

"TJAC" wrote:

I have a VLOOkUp function that I'm trying to use. I would like to enter a
name and in the other column the number be populated for their region.
However, that way does not work. When I type in the name, a number doesn't
come into the other cell. But if I try it the other way, type in the number
the name does appear. I can't figure out what is wrong. My formula appears
to be correct since I can change it and it will add the name.

Any ideas on what I can try?

This is my function...
=VLOOKUP(C16,$N$2:$O$120,1)
Column N contains the numbers and column O contains the names. Obviously
c16 is where I am attempting to type the name.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm sorry, I did, but I thought you said they should be the other way around.
I tried it both ways though anyways.

The one you just sent does work perfectly though! Thanks so much for your
help. Why does it require "False" I had everything else, but I have never
used one with False.

Thanks so much for your help!