Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Using the chat

I'm new to this and have a couple of general questions. First of all, I
posted a question on 1-12-07. I received a response which I printed out and
have subsequently lost. I wanted to print it out again. Is there a way to
go directly to the date or to my user name instead of scrolling through the
entire list? DSL isn't available here yet and scrolling through using dialup
is a time consuming nightmare.

Also, the response I received to my question on 1-12-07 was simple to
understand and solved my problem quickly. Is there a way to thank the person
who responded to my request?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is a link to your earlier inquiry:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f122c03bfae4d7

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"willie091028" wrote:

I'm new to this and have a couple of general questions. First of all, I
posted a question on 1-12-07. I received a response which I printed out and
have subsequently lost. I wanted to print it out again. Is there a way to
go directly to the date or to my user name instead of scrolling through the
entire list? DSL isn't available here yet and scrolling through using dialup
is a time consuming nightmare.

Also, the response I received to my question on 1-12-07 was simple to
understand and solved my problem quickly. Is there a way to thank the person
who responded to my request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Google archives these newsgroups.

You can go to:

Put
*excel*
in the "Return only messages from the group at this location" box

and enough info to identify your post (date/author)

If you register with Google, you can actually respond in that same thread.

I searched the *excel* newsgroups for posts authored by you and found a few
including:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f122c03bfae4d7

or

http://snipurl.com/17qbd

willie091028 wrote:

I'm new to this and have a couple of general questions. First of all, I
posted a question on 1-12-07. I received a response which I printed out and
have subsequently lost. I wanted to print it out again. Is there a way to
go directly to the date or to my user name instead of scrolling through the
entire list? DSL isn't available here yet and scrolling through using dialup
is a time consuming nightmare.

Also, the response I received to my question on 1-12-07 was simple to
understand and solved my problem quickly. Is there a way to thank the person
who responded to my request?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You don't say how you access the newsgroups.
I'll guess that it's via the web interface.

If that's true:

Answer 1:
Enter your username (willie091028) in the Search for box,
select the group from the dropdown list (Excel General Questions)
Click the [Go] button

When I did that...your 3 threads listed, one from 01/12/07
(I would post the link, but I see that Dave F already did)

Answer 2:
You can thank a helpful poster right in another post in the same thread.
At a minimum...
Select the helpful response post and click [Yes] button for "Did this post
answer the question?". That lets the poster, and everyone else, know that
the question was answered by that post.

I hope that helps.
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"willie091028" wrote:

I'm new to this and have a couple of general questions. First of all, I
posted a question on 1-12-07. I received a response which I printed out and
have subsequently lost. I wanted to print it out again. Is there a way to
go directly to the date or to my user name instead of scrolling through the
entire list? DSL isn't available here yet and scrolling through using dialup
is a time consuming nightmare.

Also, the response I received to my question on 1-12-07 was simple to
understand and solved my problem quickly. Is there a way to thank the person
who responded to my request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I may be missing something really obvious here but how else do you access
newsgroups other than via the web? Do you mean accessing them via an RSS
aggregator?

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"willie091028" wrote:

I'm new to this and have a couple of general questions. First of all, I
posted a question on 1-12-07. I received a response which I printed out and
have subsequently lost. I wanted to print it out again. Is there a way to
go directly to the date or to my user name instead of scrolling through the
entire list? DSL isn't available here yet and scrolling through using dialup
is a time consuming nightmare.

Also, the response I received to my question on 1-12-07 was simple to
understand and solved my problem quickly. Is there a way to thank the person
who responded to my request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Lots of people use newsreaders--even Outlook Express will work.

Saved from a previous post:

If you have Outlook Express installed, try clicking on these links (or copy and
paste into MSIE).

(and a few more for MSWord)

(You can always connect to more later)

Here are some links that explain it better:

Chip Pearson has some notes written by Leonard Meads at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DirectConnect.htm

David McRitchie's notes at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6nws01.htm

Tushar Mehta's notes at:
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tut...e_ng/index.htm

And if you're looking for old posts:

Or you can use google (maybe a few hours behind) to search for stuff you've
posted (and find the replies, too)

http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...Excel*&num=100

Ron de Bruin has an excel addin that you may like:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

"willie091028" wrote:

I'm new to this and have a couple of general questions. First of all, I
posted a question on 1-12-07. I received a response which I printed out and
have subsequently lost. I wanted to print it out again. Is there a way to
go directly to the date or to my user name instead of scrolling through the
entire list? DSL isn't available here yet and scrolling through using dialup
is a time consuming nightmare.

Also, the response I received to my question on 1-12-07 was simple to
understand and solved my problem quickly. Is there a way to thank the person
who responded to my request?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Wow, I had no idea. I just use groups.google.com or else MSFT's site....

Thanks.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"willie091028" wrote:

I'm new to this and have a couple of general questions. First of all, I
posted a question on 1-12-07. I received a response which I printed out and
have subsequently lost. I wanted to print it out again. Is there a way to
go directly to the date or to my user name instead of scrolling through the
entire list? DSL isn't available here yet and scrolling through using dialup
is a time consuming nightmare.

Also, the response I received to my question on 1-12-07 was simple to
understand and solved my problem quickly. Is there a way to thank the person
who responded to my request?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ron

If you used a "real" newsreader like Forte Agent you can (in Agent) just hit "H"
key to see header info like...............

From: Ron Coderre