Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can Change (link) Source take hours?

Excel 2003.

I moved a spreadsheet into an archive directory. I then opened a
spreadsheet that was linked to the newly moved xls. I go to Edit Links and
try to Change the Source by navigating to the new location and selecting OK.
The hour glass comes up and (it appears) never goes away. I've tried this
several times with the same apparent hanging result. Is it possible that
Excel needs a few hours to resolve the new link?

Thanks - Russ
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've never seen excel take this much time, but I don't recall ever using a
workbook with a vast quantity of links to other workbooks (and I would imagine
that it would be slower if the linked workbooks are on a network drive).

You may want to try opening the workbooks that will become the new links to see
how much better the reaction time is.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Dave. Not long after I posted it returned with an OK. I was just too
impatient. Both files were on network drives and one was very complex. It
took about 45 minutes. Thanks!