Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default adding decreasing numbers

Hi. Im trying to set something up where I put a number(y) in a cell that
represents the quantity of x. (x is the product Im buying and y is the
amount). The thing is that after I buy one for say 400, the next time I buy
It will cost 330, and the number decreases by 70 every time i buy. Is there
an easy way to total up the cost of (y) amount of (x). Example:
need to buy 3 boxes: 1st box costs 400;2nd box costs 330;3rd box costs 260
total: 990
How do I automatically calculate the total by putting in the amount of
boxes needed in a cell in this situation.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If A1 contains of total quantity purchased then

=400*A1-70*0.5*(A1^2-A1)

will be the total amount paid
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200701

"Tracker" wrote:

Hi. Im trying to set something up where I put a number(y) in a cell that
represents the quantity of x. (x is the product Im buying and y is the
amount). The thing is that after I buy one for say 400, the next time I buy
It will cost 330, and the number decreases by 70 every time i buy. Is there
an easy way to total up the cost of (y) amount of (x). Example:
need to buy 3 boxes: 1st box costs 400;2nd box costs 330;3rd box costs 260
total: 990
How do I automatically calculate the total by putting in the amount of
boxes needed in a cell in this situation.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

This is probably not the best solution but try this:

Start by creating a 2 column table somewhere in your workbook, in the first
cell of the first column (say column D) type =ROW(A1) and copy down as far as
needed, this will represent the number of orders. In the first cell of the
second column (say column E) type the number 0, then in the second cell type
=E1+ROW(A1) and copy down to match lenght of the first column.

Then you could use this formula:

=(A1*(B1))-(70*VLOOKUP(B1,D1:E50,2,0))

where A1 is the cost of the item, B1 is the quantity and D1:E60 is your
table.

Hope this helps!
Jean-Guy

"Tracker" wrote:

Hi. Im trying to set something up where I put a number(y) in a cell that
represents the quantity of x. (x is the product Im buying and y is the
amount). The thing is that after I buy one for say 400, the next time I buy
It will cost 330, and the number decreases by 70 every time i buy. Is there
an easy way to total up the cost of (y) amount of (x). Example:
need to buy 3 boxes: 1st box costs 400;2nd box costs 330;3rd box costs 260
total: 990
How do I automatically calculate the total by putting in the amount of
boxes needed in a cell in this situation.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are very welcome!
--
Gary's Student