Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default combining multiple columns from multiple files

Here's my situation. I have 3 files covering 3 years (2004, 2005 and 2006).
Each contains 3 columns columns of information. Column A is Part Number.
Collumn B is Description. Column C is Quantity (sold that year).

I'm trying to determine the Min/Max levels we need to stock for each item.
Each year there are different part numbers for a variety of reasons. Some
discontinued, some new that year etc.

Basically, I want a sheet with columns that looks like this:

Part# Desc 04usage 05usage 06usage

Once I have a sheet that contains this, I can manage the rest. Or is there a
way to make a new sheet that draws the information from the 3 sheets?

Is this possible... and possible in a way that a noob like me can manage? I
got "volunteered" to do this, and for the life of me, can't understand why.

Thanks!

John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK, do do it the way you want, in cell C2 (your 04usage column) type:

=VLOOKUP(A2,04filesheet1A:C,3,FALSE)
in the 05 and 06 columns, same exact formula, just change the workbook
you're using.

or, in C2,
=MAX(VLOOKUP(A2,04filesheet1A:C,3,FALSE), same with workbook 05, same with
workbook 06)

Hope that made sense.
"osiris73" wrote:

Here's my situation. I have 3 files covering 3 years (2004, 2005 and 2006).
Each contains 3 columns columns of information. Column A is Part Number.
Collumn B is Description. Column C is Quantity (sold that year).

I'm trying to determine the Min/Max levels we need to stock for each item.
Each year there are different part numbers for a variety of reasons. Some
discontinued, some new that year etc.

Basically, I want a sheet with columns that looks like this:

Part# Desc 04usage 05usage 06usage

Once I have a sheet that contains this, I can manage the rest. Or is there a
way to make a new sheet that draws the information from the 3 sheets?

Is this possible... and possible in a way that a noob like me can manage? I
got "volunteered" to do this, and for the life of me, can't understand why.

Thanks!

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You should utilize the Data - Pivot Table Command
Select your worksheet range - make sure you include column headings
Then click on layout

Drag the columns that you need into the Row column which in your case would
be your part number

Drag each year into the column header

Then Drag each each year into the Data box - double click on each year to
change it from "Count" to "Sum"

Click Finish when you are done and Excel will create a new worksheet with
your data.