Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel and Access

Can Access be used the same way Excel is used? I have a form set up in Excel
for ordering products. This form contains vlookup formulas attached to other
excel worksheets in the same workbook.
This form is formatted to print on a special preforated (sp?) paper. Can I
do the same thing in Access but the difference being when I enter a new
customer name to my form it is automatically added to my master customer list?
I hope that makes sense.

Thank you in advance!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Access is a database program not a financial analysis tool.

That said, what you propose probably can be done in Access; however, a more
appropriate forum for such a question would be the Access newsgroups, not an
Excel newsgroup.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Christine" wrote:

Can Access be used the same way Excel is used? I have a form set up in Excel
for ordering products. This form contains vlookup formulas attached to other
excel worksheets in the same workbook.
This form is formatted to print on a special preforated (sp?) paper. Can I
do the same thing in Access but the difference being when I enter a new
customer name to my form it is automatically added to my master customer list?
I hope that makes sense.

Thank you in advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, you can do the same thing in Access too.
1. Excel sheets are like tables
2. Formulas in cell in worksheets are like triggers
3. VBA programming language is similar accross these application.
4. Creating ODBC datasource is similar for connecting to external application
5. Named definition are like queries - You can use a query to print a
report. Likewise you can use a name definnition for generating list as well
as mail merge documents and so on.

Important: Table fields are defined with constrains. Excel can store and
display any format. You can even store a value with a hidden character - Any
value in fact.
Above all moving data across Excel and Access might not be correct as
migrating data between Access and SQL Server.