Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Diagram with more than one curve

I want to create a diagram with more than one curve (line). I have several
series of data and I want to show them separately in one diagram. Is it
possible?

It's hard to explain exactly what I mean, I hope somebody understands...

Lena
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Have a look at this,
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, it should be possible. Insert ; (semicolon) between each series of data
(range of data) in the chart dialogue box.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"zitalen" wrote:

I want to create a diagram with more than one curve (line). I have several
series of data and I want to show them separately in one diagram. Is it
possible?

It's hard to explain exactly what I mean, I hope somebody understands...

Lena

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A number of ways, some of which may work better than others depending on how
your data is structured and what type of chart you have.

If you have several series of Y data, all dependent on the same X data, then
if you select the whole dataset the wizard can probably get it right from
square one.

If you've got a chart with one series, you can copy your next data series
and paste into the graph.

In the Graph, either Chart/ Add Data or Chart/ Source Data/ Series/ Add, and
then include the relevant data for series name, X data series, and Y data
series. {this latter route, through Source Data, is the route you may need
to go if the graph isn't right first time and you need to change things).
--
David Biddulph

"zitalen" wrote in message
I want to create a diagram with more than one curve (line). I have several
series of data and I want to show them separately in one diagram. Is it
possible?

It's hard to explain exactly what I mean, I hope somebody understands...

Lena

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am a bit stupid when it comes to Excel diagrams, so all your answers was
more than I understood. Here's what I want to do:

I want to create a diagram like this:
http://picasaweb.google.se/zitalena

Here are some of the values (the first 2 curves):

Capacity Sound pressure
178,5 56
206,3 56
240,9 58
278 58
308,1 59
369,9 59
420 60
480,1 60
482,3 61
556,9 61
549 61
648,4 61
616,2 62

149,5 49
169 49
200,3 51
230,4 51
255 53
303,8 53
349,5 53
395,6 53
400,6 54
460,2 54
476,4 55
535,5 55
509,9 56
607,6 56

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, works fine for me.
Select the data (2 columns) for your first series, Insert/ Chart/ XY/ ...
other options as appropriate.
Then Chart/ Source Data/ Add
X values for 2nd series
Y values for 2nd series
Names for series as appropriate.
--
David Biddulph

"zitalen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I may be even more stupid than I thought.... I get a Y-axle with numbers 0 to
700 and an X-axle with numbers 1 to 13 (!) The 1 to 13 seems to be the number
of data-entries I add to the diagram... I want the sound values (around 50-60
in value) to be the X-axle and the capacity to be the Y-axle (as it is). I
get 2 curves (one for capacity and one for sound) instead of just one. As you
can see I am not at all ready to add data for the second curve...

I select the data for the first curve and choose the linear diagram no. 4 of
7 (it doesn't matter what kind of diagram I choose, I still get one curve for
capacity and one for sound). It's a bit hard to explain as my Excel is in
Swedish.

"zitalen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm sorry that my Swedish would be much worse than your English.

I think the first problem is likely to be that you've got the wrong chart
type. In English, the type you need is labelled XY (Scatter), and on the
initial Chart Type menu it is shown as a scatter of dots, rather than lines
(but having selected that, the sub-types allow you to include lines). I
think you have chosen Line Chart, which isn't what you need. In the English
version, the order in which the Chart Types are listed is Column/ Bar/ Line/
Pie/ XY (Scatter)/ Area/ Doughnut/ Radar/ ..., so you need the 5th type, not
the 3rd.

Try that, but you may then find that you have the X and Y in the wrong
order. By default, Excel will assume that the first column of data is the X
axis, and the second column the Y. The easiest option may be to move or
copy your Capacity column to after your Sound pressure column, and then
select a data series which shows Sound Pressure in the first column and
Capacity in the second column, and hopefully Insert/ Chart will interpret
the data as you want it.
--
David Biddulph

"zitalen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you!!! It works just as I wanted, except for the lines being too
squiggly (sp?), I have to adjust the values to make them smoother. It's for a
first look where the customer chooses what unit too look more closely at. I
have also managed to add a couple of more curves in my diagram. Thanks again!
You made my day :)

Lena, Sweden

"zitalen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would avoid the squiggly lines like the plague! I much prefer to choose
the straight lines so that I know where the real data points are (and I
choose whether or not I want individual points marked). I don't generally
allow Excel to guess at a curve between them. If the line between the
points is particularly questionable I will probably change it to dotted, or
remove the line altogether and just leave the points.
--
David Biddulph